What are the odds?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by team_realtree, Dec 22, 2009.

1. team_realtree

team_realtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    6 chickens in one enclosure all of them cornish X araucana. 5 hens 1 rooster. They are 8 months old come spring when I am hoping to do this. What would be the chances that the eggs my hens throw are fertile? Is there even a small chance they aren't fertile having 1 roo to 5 hens in a relatively small enclosure? I've never bred chickens so i don't know if it is like a blue moon when you get a fertile egg or something that is expected when you put a roo in with your hens. Any light you can shed on this situation is really appreciated!

2. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    There is definitely a chance that your chicken hatching eggs would be fertile and able to provide some baby chicks for you in the spring. the cornish/Araucana is an interesting cross. 1-5 is a reasonable ratio. You don't want the birds to be too cramped. I think you will be fine. Feed the chickens well and you should have fertile eggs.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have a GC Marans roo in a 4 X 10 X 5'high pen. He doesn't get around to everybody. *6 hens

When I let them out to free range, he goes for some of the girls that he doesn't routinely get in the pen. I think if it were a 5 X 10 it wouldn't be an issue. He can't do the dance in 4' like he could in 5'

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  4. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Absolutely!!! The closer they get to a year old, the better chances that all your eggs will be fertile. 1:5 is excellent. I had 1:11 and all eggs were fertile. He was a busy boy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by