what are the pros and cons of a mixed flock

Not inside the coop.

If your run is a muddy mess you need to,

A. Improve your drainage.

B. Add sufficient dry organic material to take up the moisture.

Mud in a poultry run is, essentially, an open septic tank. :(
the ducks arnt in the coop they cant get into the coop

I’ve had issues with having ducks with my chickens. Drakes can be bad for your flock. I had a Drake that was hatched by a chicken and I left him in for a long time thinking it was all good. Different hens started having things go wrong and eventually die. I saw him trying to get a chicken down one day. I separated him and placed him with the other ducks that wanted nothing to do with him. He would wait in his new place right beside the chicken run. It was as if he was longing to be with them. Not exactly true! I recently had a young PBB fly over. He rapes and killed her. Overall I don’t know how many lives in total Chuck costed me but it’s not worth it. Since then he has been relocated to a family pond.

I have guineas, chickens and Muscovy ducks that have all been kept together at night for years. Two drakes. Never had a problem. Chickens and guineas have perches and the ducks have the floor. They free range all day.

we have been keeping them together they seem ok with eachother
I have guineas, chickens and Muscovy ducks that have all been kept together at night for years. Two drakes. Never had a problem. Chickens and guineas have perches and the ducks have the floor. They free range all day.

Back
Top Bottom