what are the rarest chickens

welcome-byc.gif

Rare breeds are going to be expensive and hard to find. Building a coop and run, getting the basics such as waterers, feeders, feed, bedding, basic first aid supplies, etc. will set you back some to begin with. Since this is your first time raising chickens, I'd recommend going with something a bit easier to find and less expensive to purchase to see if you like raising chickens first and to get a bit of experience under your belt.

Just my 2 cents...

welcome-byc.gif

Rare breeds are going to be expensive and hard to find. Building a coop and run, getting the basics such as waterers, feeders, feed, bedding, basic first aid supplies, etc. will set you back some to begin with. Since this is your first time raising chickens, I'd recommend going with something a bit easier to find and less expensive to purchase to see if you like raising chickens first and to get a bit of experience under your belt.

Just my 2 cents...
x2
Best to get a few sexed pullets of a common production breed from your local feed store. Get used to basic chick/chicken care. If you make some mistakes (as you absolutely will), and loose a few, at least it will be birds that only cost a few dollars, not hundreds.
The rarest, hardest to obtain breeds in the U.S. are found at GreenFire Farm. They specialize in importing and breeding rare breeds. They do not sell sexed chicks, so if having roosters is an issue, just stick with the more common sexed breeds from hatcheries.

Back
Top Bottom