What are the sex of these button quail?

loverlyskye

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2018
FD85EEDE-14FB-4E31-83EB-3DD92EF9BAA3.jpeg
497C25EF-2FFC-446C-BCAF-B650DBA35853.jpeg
5322CFF2-1F6B-423F-9ABB-461BCE91CFD5.jpeg
55B559E5-03AC-46BD-8FA7-917885A37D5A.jpeg
Can anyone help me find out the sex of these little ones? I just got them today and I have read a lot but can’t find a for sure answer.

In all but pure white birds (or birds with white in the wrong place) males have red feathers around their vents. You can't 'vent sex' them in the same way as Coturnix/Japanese quail.

In all but pure white birds (or birds with white in the wrong place) males have red feathers around their vents. You can't 'vent sex' them in the same way as Coturnix/Japanese quail.
Ok. Good to know. There’s some white feathers around the vent on the second one. So That means it’s a female? I just want to make sure.

Ok. Good to know. There’s some white feathers around the vent on the second one. So That means it’s a female? I just want to make sure.

This is a really good page that explains the differences well:
http://www.featheredobsessions.com/Male_or_Female_.html

It can get tricky when a few mutations are combined too.

I'm in New Zealand and we don't have a lot of the mutations you have overseas (including the ones like your pretty birds). :love

This is a really good page that explains the differences well:
http://www.featheredobsessions.com/Male_or_Female_.html

It can get tricky when a few mutations are combined too.

I'm in New Zealand and we don't have a lot of the mutations you have overseas (including the ones like your pretty birds). :love
Thank you for information. They are really pretty. I’ve never seen one in person before today and I didn’t realize just how small they are. I’ve been really interested in quail and I actually have 5 bobwhite eggs in the incubator. I’ve never had quail before but my family is really big on poultry. All pets. We love them too much. Lol but these two I’m thinking I’ll name them muffin and biscuit. I got them from a relative that got them from someone that abandoned them. So I’m definitely set on giving these two the best love I can. They seem like they could possibly be a little on the sick side. I’m hoping it’s nothing. They were in a tank and the tank was nothing but black poo mud and they had no food. They had poop balls on their toes but I’ve already taken care of that. So I’m giving them some nutridrench and I’m going to look into giving them corid. This is just stuff I have on hand.

Thank you for information. They are really pretty. I’ve never seen one in person before today and I didn’t realize just how small they are. I’ve been really interested in quail and I actually have 5 bobwhite eggs in the incubator. I’ve never had quail before but my family is really big on poultry. All pets. We love them too much. Lol but these two I’m thinking I’ll name them muffin and biscuit. I got them from a relative that got them from someone that abandoned them. So I’m definitely set on giving these two the best love I can. They seem like they could possibly be a little on the sick side. I’m hoping it’s nothing. They were in a tank and the tank was nothing but black poo mud and they had no food. They had poop balls on their toes but I’ve already taken care of that. So I’m giving them some nutridrench and I’m going to look into giving them corid. This is just stuff I have on hand.

Poor things! They have landed in the best home possible now I'd say! Hopefully it was just their bad living conditions that have made them a bit 'off'. With good food and clean living quarters I'm sure they'll improve.

They are darling little things that are best kept as pairs. I love their names - so cute. Good luck with the bobwhite eggs. They have such a pretty call and I'd love to have some one day.

Just be careful if you have chickens. Chickens can carry diseases that can infect quail and other gamebirds, such as Coryza, so it's better to be cautious and wash your hands between the two species, and house your quail away from the chickens.

Poor things! They have landed in the best home possible now I'd say! Hopefully it was just their bad living conditions that have made them a bit 'off'. With good food and clean living quarters I'm sure they'll improve.

They are darling little things that are best kept as pairs. I love their names - so cute. Good luck with the bobwhite eggs. They have such a pretty call and I'd love to have some one day.

Just be careful if you have chickens. Chickens can carry diseases that can infect quail and other gamebirds, such as Coryza, so it's better to be cautious and wash your hands between the two species, and house your quail away from the chickens.
Thank you. Yes I have read that and I definitely plan on keeping their enclosure away from the chickens. I’m going to keep reading and learning as much as I can on them. I’m super excited. :)

I love the cute little sounds they make. I know at least one of them crows or so I’ve been told. I just don’t know which one or if it’s possibly both. Hopefully I’ll know soon.

Back
Top Bottom