What are the signs of a shink wraped duckling left to long

gthor

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2022
I have a Khaki Campbell duckling that pipped the egg 3 days ago. 2 of the 3 eggs have hatched, but this duckling is still in the egg. He can breath but the membrane is drying around him. I can't safely say there are no blood vessels, but it looks like there are non. How can I tell for sure that the blood vessels and yolk sac have been fully absorbed before I assist this duckling? Also, the duckling can breath through the pip, but do I have to worry about leaving him in the egg for to long because if the shinkwrapping?

Thanks

Hello! I just had to help a shrink wrapped quail chick tonight!

Break the shell off first, gently. Next, begin to gently peal the membrane away, NEVER pulling hard, only if it comes up easily. If something is shrink wrapped, you will need to dampen a warm napkin and gently get the membrane wet again. Send some pictures of the egg!

Okay, thanks! We don't know if the yolk sac is fully absorbed, is there a way we can tell?

Attachments

• 20220911_203945.jpg
    20220911_203945.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 18
Okay, thanks! We don't know if the yolk sac is fully absorbed, is there a way we can tell?
Definitely begin peeling off the shell.

Hard to tell. Once you get the shell off, you may see some blood in the membrane. Normal. Work your way down slowly.

This is a situation where you either attempt to save the chick now, or it will die. Don't feel bad if it doesn't make it, your being thoughtful of it by even giving the egg a chance. Tonight, I slowly worked my way down and was careful not to pull any viens or such. If it has been pipped for that long, everything should have dried up!

Back
Top Bottom