What are these biting gnats and how do I get rid of them?

Feb 14, 2021
Arkansas
I had 30+ of these awful things on one of my roosters at once. Can't knock them all off, they come back too fast. Now there is a whole cloud of them terrorizing my flock, and my chickens are all hiding in the henhouse trying to get away from them. What are these things and how can I get rid of them?! I suspect they either came from the cattle nearby or from the five chicken houses. We seem to have biting fly problems every year, but I don't remember gnats like these. I've read that a Permethrin Dilution is good for this and it's safe for chickens? I've already used some diatomaceous earth and some seven dust, but I don't like using dust on the chickens because I don't want them to breathe any of it.

This is the best photo I could get of one. Sorry, it's slightly blurry; they were biting me too.

IMG_7806.JPG

https://the-chicken-chick.com/protecting-chickens-from-killer-black-flies-buffalo-gnats/

Could these be it? I know I’ve seen the same type of fly around my run. On the ground though. I haven’t gotten bitten yet but I’m going to be on the look out now. They fly trap I have up didn’t seem to work for these flys.
Yes, that looks like them. 😬 I hope you can find a way to get rid of them too! I didn't realize they could be deadly. 😳 I lost two chickens a couple of weeks ago, very randomly. Now I wonder if this is what happened... I had people say, "Chickens should eat the gnats." But there are too many for chickens to eat, and they can't eat them when the gnats are on their faces.

I’m dusting my coop with permethrin at least once a month. I haven’t had an outbreak of lice but in that link it says the permethrin on the birds can help keep them away. I might start using it in the heavily populated fly areas to see if it helps.

I just thought they were regular flies and hung up a fly trap. Now I’m thinking they’re these things. I didn’t even realize they bit let alone could kill my chickens.

Sorry for the loss of your chickens. That sounds horrible... all over their faces??! I don’t even want to imagine that.

Fans are about the only thing to deter them.
Nasty buggers.
I have a fan and dad wired the chicken house with electricity so I can do this easily. Do I need to aim the fan at the chickens (I've heard the breeze is bad for them?) or am I just trying to circulate the air and not put the air directly onto the chickens?

I was hoping there was another way. Since I didn’t want to run another wire to my run. 😕
Aww. :(

Last edited:
I used permethrin weekly for around a month. I mixed it on the heavy side and it worked.
We bought some and are going to try it out! When do you apply it? Day, night? Am I spraying the walls or and I spaying the air where I see gnats flying? Do I need to spray the yard only or the inside of the henhouse too? Will I need to rake up any scattered feed after spraying so they won't eat it after it gets sprayed?

Thanks! I found this chart that @casportpony made for the ratio: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/permethrin-dilution.1448295/#post-24089092

We bought this one:
171930153_943278346428376_1478150049528620912_n.jpg

That will work. Spray everywhere you see them. I carefully sprayed in the air where I saw them flying and the surfaces they land on. I sprayed everywhere but removed the feed and water before spraying. The pest were very annoying. Mix the heaviest which is 0.5%, 6.4 oz to a gallon of water. I use a gallon sprayer with a wand and spray everything the pest will land on. The wand helps to get into places easier. I have poop pits underneath my roosts and sprayed in there too. Good luck...
1:196.4 ounces190ml0.5%

Back
Top Bottom