What are these bugs??

TheChickChick805

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2017
Okay I’ve looked and looked and cannot seem to find someplace that identifies these bugs. They don’t look like regular chicken mites. I first saw them on a couple of eggs. I’ve checked my chickens recently and can’t find any sign of mites or harm from mites. They are teeny tiny. My hens just picked up a habit of laying their eggs on top of a bag of layer shavings. And I found more and more eggs covered in them. Just a few each time. Today I went out and saw this. I threw out the bag of shavings but now I don’t know if I should get more from the same place. Do I need to special clean my coop somehow? With what?

Attachments

• D468987E-B1B8-48FE-959B-E86EB3FE5D84.jpeg
    D468987E-B1B8-48FE-959B-E86EB3FE5D84.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 44AB09E4-CE43-4770-B14F-E5F27C314D48.jpeg
    44AB09E4-CE43-4770-B14F-E5F27C314D48.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 27
  • F6A0DAA4-4ABF-41C5-9E5F-FF0BA33A2146.jpeg
    F6A0DAA4-4ABF-41C5-9E5F-FF0BA33A2146.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 26
They look like mites to me. Mites don't live on the chickens, they hide during the day and come out to feed at night.
Are your hens reluctant to go to bed at night?
Check underneath perches and crevices - greyish 'dust' is indicative of mites.
I would be dusting my hens, taking out all bedding, disinfecting the coop and dusting the coop and nest boxes when dry. Repeat again in 7 days.

The perches are fine. The chickens don’t look like they have signs of mites-I’ve checked their undersides and all their skin and feathers look healthy. I will take your advice about dusting and cleaning. I replenished their dusting box with DE already but I will give a thorough dusting and cleaning as well.
do you recommend anyspecific disinfectant for the coop? Something strong that won’t harm the hens when they go back in?
It’s well ventilated but just in case?

The perches are fine. The chickens don’t look like they have signs of mites-I’ve checked their undersides and all their skin and feathers look healthy. I will take your advice about dusting and cleaning. I replenished their dusting box with DE already but I will give a thorough dusting and cleaning as well.
do you recommend anyspecific disinfectant for the coop? Something strong that won’t harm the hens when they go back in?
It’s well ventilated but just in case?
Before you go buying DE, splashing vinegar around and cleaning the coop, you do if you want to be rid of the mites, need something that works. None of the above is going to kill mites if that is what they are.
You need a spray or powder containing Permethrin. Most farm stores should stock a product containing this chemical.
There are lots of different types of mites, only a few live on the chicken.

I had bugs that looked like that and assumed they were mites. I've read over and over on BYC that DE doesn't really get rid of mites. Get Permethrin powder and dust the coop, nest boxes. It won't hurt the birds. It definitely got rid of my bugs.
I got it at TSC and it looks like this:
Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 7.06.25 AM.png

Pyranha bug spray. Order on Amazon and keep it on hand. Those mites get EVERYWHERE and this kills them. THEN dust de and put your new bedding down. You'll have to clean roosting poles, nesting boxes too. You don't have to go nuts but spray this on every surface. Smells nice too. Give your girls a nice place to dust bathe and if your worried about that sprinkle some de in with it, whether it be dirt or sand.
Alot of people use pymethrin but this'll do the job and smells good.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200223-135234_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20200223-135234_Edge.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 8
Okay I’ve looked and looked and cannot seem to find someplace that identifies these bugs. They don’t look like regular chicken mites. I first saw them on a couple of eggs. I’ve checked my chickens recently and can’t find any sign of mites or harm from mites. They are teeny tiny. My hens just picked up a habit of laying their eggs on top of a bag of layer shavings. And I found more and more eggs covered in them. Just a few each time. Today I went out and saw this. I threw out the bag of shavings but now I don’t know if I should get more from the same place. Do I need to special clean my coop somehow? With what?
First, you need to positively ID the bugs, which can be diffficult.
A clearer pic with a coin for scale would help.
There are soooo many insects around, and most do no harm to poultry,
so don't panic and start spraying crap all over.
I don't treat for bugs unless I see them on the birds.
Did you google for pics of mites and lice that plague poultry, then get out a magnifying glass.

Would help us to know....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1582495595699.png

My Bug Check notes:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Back
Top Bottom