What are these chocolate brown chicks??

sred98

Songster
12 Years
Jan 18, 2008
Oklahoma
These aren't the best pics, because they wouldn't keep still! I am trying to figure out what birds have chocolate brown chicks.
hu.gif
These came out of the straight run heavy bin. Right now, it seems they have a straight comb. I had thought maybe Barnevelders? These came from Ideal Poultry.

The smaller bird directly behind this one is the same kind. You can see their chest is a lighter color with bluish underfeathering.
028.jpg

Around their bottom half of the face is some lighter cream coloring. Their legs seem to be a darker dusky pink right now. I'm sure that will change.
030.jpg

There is a super dark line going down their back, with the chocolate on the sides. It's kind of hard to see, but I think you get the idea...
029.jpg

Thanks!

Shelly

What color are their legs?
Some possibilities- barnvelder, partridge rock, welsummer....
If they had white bellies I'd say sussex, but can't tell from the pics.

There are quite a few breeds that have the chipmunk pattern as chicks.

They aren't Wellsummers...I've got those and they don't look like them. Right now their legs are a dusky pink. I'm guessing they are going to darken up. Their stomachs aren't white, but they are lighter with some bluish gray to it.

I'm noticing some mottling around their cheeks. No cheek fluff, but the cheeks are lighter colored with black speckles.

These don't have what I would call a chipmunk pattern? With their dark coloring, it's hard to get a good picture.

Shelly

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion of partridge rock...I'm definitely leaning in that direction. DS will be pleased!

Shelly

We have a chick that looks like yours. We got it from a feed store and are pretty sure it is a Partridge Rock. Here is a picture(it it the one on the right).

41347_sept_17-_pets_livestock_cont_5.jpg

Well, I think they are a little dark for Brn. Leghorns they are a bit young to give a better guess. I say Partridge Rock er' Bvelder looking. give em' a couple more weeks that's about the best I can do for now.

Quote:
Thanks for the pic Pioneer Chicken! I definitely agree! Your picture is a lot clearer than mine, and I can see some of the details on yours that my pic is fuzzy on.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the help, all!

Shelly

Back
Top Bottom