What are these hens?

I agree that they are not marans and that they look like australorps (body shape & color), but they still look 'off'. More than one have the white earlobes, 2 or 3 have yellow on their feet, and their combs look strange to me. I can't tell in the pictures - are the combs 'straight/single combs'? What color eggs are you getting from them?

White ear lopes and a "Y" on the back end of the comb is normal for the Penedesenca breed. These may be mixed of BC marans and Penedesenca. Just a thought. Where did you get them from? If you got them from someone, could you ask them what they are? If you got em at a sale or auction, you may never find what they are..................Good luck and let us know if you find out...........

The first hen has some leg feathers, no feathers on her toes.

2 of the hens have the Y at the end of their comb, I'll have to check the leg colour tomorrow when I go out to the coop.These two hens are like peas in a pod (identicle body shape).

They don't all have the white ear lobes.

With this group of hens there was a wheaten Pendesenca hen (I'm 100% sure she's a true pendesenca-plus others who keep them says she's identicle to their flock of wheaten pendesenca).

About egg colour...ALL these hens (ones pictured) are kept in same pen. I am getting dark chocolate coloured eggs, one egg is dark but with speckling.

These gals came with 2 BC Maran roos. I've IDed the 2 boys and they seem breed appropiate.

The person I bought them from was moving.

Sorry my pictures aren't the best. It wasn't a very bright day for taking pics.

Last edited:
I think they are mixes
idunno.gif

#1 I say is a BA.

#2,3,4,5- I think may be "blue" something. Maybe Rock.

#6 is deffently a mix. Maybe maran.

Just my guesses.

i think they are a black sex link mix did they have any white on them when they were babies like under there chin

Back
Top Bottom