What are these?

BackyardDove

Songster
9 Years
Oct 8, 2014
Central Texas
There have been wild chickens running around the neighborhood for several years. Recently, they've taken a liking to laying eggs and trying to incubate them in my yard. I've got some hens that occasionally go broody and I thought it might be a good idea to steal the eggs from the wild hens and put them under my own hens. These wild chickens seem to go broody easily and are good mothers(considering they've managed to live in an urban neighborhood for 8+ years), so I figured I'd keep any chicks that turn out to be hens and simply release the roosters back into the wild. I'd like a few more hens that can go broody, but I don't want to catch the wild hens that fly into my yard since they can both transfer diseases to my chickens and they won't be tame. Though, before I do any egg stealing, I'd like to at least know what breed these chickens are. Over the years I've seen a couple roosters that clearly were not apart of the original flock of chickens, but generally they have all looked the same.

This is one of the wild roosters:

Unfortunately I haven't had my phone on me during the times when one of the hens briefly visits the yard, but hopefully I'll get one of them soon. The hen's bodies are a beige/tan color with dark tan/medium brown wing and tail tips. They aren't big birds but they aren't bantams. Like the rooster, their legs are yellow and are long, considering their small bodies. Their eggs are a white color and are large. The chicks are yellow.

Last edited:
The roo almost looks like a Malay or Asil:
Malay-Game-Male.jpg

Based on his bright yellow legs and rather up-right position. He may be something else (or a mix), though -I'm by no means an expert.
tongue2.gif

The Malay chickens look a lot like the roosters around here and the hens look them too, but the Malay roosters hold their tails low and the roosters around here hold them up pretty high. Though, like you said, there is always the chance they are mixed. Thank you for your help! At least now I have something I can say they look like
lol.png

Since they've been feral and breeding indiscriminately, they're not any specific type of game. It is kind of a blanket term for birds of game ancestry who have not been managed and bred for specific colors or traits.

Since they've been feral and breeding indiscriminately, they're not any specific type of game. It is kind of a blanket term for birds of game ancestry who have not been managed and bred for specific colors or traits.

Ah, I see. I thought gamebird roosters fought, though? I've seen several roosters in one small flock of hens and they never fight.

Back
Top Bottom