What are they? Please help me.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Eleanore, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Eleanore

Eleanore Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Hi all! Been waiting for my chicks to mature a bit before asking if you can help identify any of them for me.
    I have four of the light grey/blue that you will see, several beautiful red/grey that believe are Wyandottes, and several others that I haven't a clue.
    Sorry for the photo quality, I have Essential Tremor and shake terribly at times, of course today was one of those days!!
    Any help you can give identifying would be great!!
    Thank you sooooo much! [​IMG]
    Photo #1
    [​IMG]

Phote #2
    [​IMG]

Photo #3
    [​IMG]

2. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    Where did you order/ purchase them? Are they all bantams? How old are they? Do you need help with genders too?

I agree that the blue- red birds are Wyandottes. They look like Blue-Laced Red Wyandotte bantams.
    I'm going to guess the blue-grays are Self Blue OEB's
    The white one could be either a Bantam White Leghorn or a White OEB.

They are beautiful, sweet-looking birds! [​IMG]

3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Looks like you have 3 roos in that second pic: 1 Blue laced red and 2 self blue(lavender) ?

4. chckncrazee

chckncrazee New Egg

Jul 29, 2011
    Hi there-I'm new to this too but the ones closest to the camera in the first pic look like orpingtons..not sure of the color.

5. Eleanore

Eleanore Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    The birds are from Hoffman Hatchery, a small hatchery in PA. They are an assorted bantam mix, they are six weeks old. Not really worried about gender, there are 16 chicks, and I know there are at least 6-8 hens! [​IMG]
    Thanks for your help thus far.

6. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
  7. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i have a chick just like the black one in the firstand 2nd,i have no idea what it is, the hatchery i bought the chicks fron arnt to sure eaither, but they said it may b a black andalusian bantam. im not sure tho. chick is hard to c in pic.

8. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    I'm going to guess from the breeds listed on Hoffman Hatchery:

The Red/blue bantams are White-Laced Red Cornish bantams (I didn't see that they sold Wyandotte bantams).
    The Black chick in the second picture is a Black Japanese (if s/he has single comb) or a Black Rosecomb (if s/he has rose comb) bantam.
    The white chick is a White Japanese bantam.
    The penciled/barred chick in the middle of the third picture is a Golden or Silver Duckwing. (We have a Duckwing mix roo that we raised from a chick and he had that same penciling/barring)
    The black/brown chick in the first picture is a Dark Cornish bantam.
    The self-blues look like OEB's but Hoffman doesn't have that specific breed on their list.
    The chick in the second photo facing straight could be a Japanese bantam.

What type of comb does the pullet in the front left in the first picture have?

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can help you. I hope I've helped you some! [​IMG]

9. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Don't have anything to add since you have gotten some good answers... just wanted to say they are so pretty! nice little flock [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by