What are they?

okefenokeeERIC

In the Brooder
May 24, 2015
Southeast Georgia
New here. Got a couple birds that I'm not sure of the sex or breed. Kinda thinking the all black might be a lady. And the other might be a male. Anyone take a stab at em?? Bought them as Asian Blue, but can never tell from a feed store

and then this little guy/gal

They are both cockerels. The first one is either a Black Australorp or Black Jersey Giant. Check the footpad. If it's yellow, then it's a Jersey Giant. If it's pinkish, then an Australorp. The second cockerel I'm sure of the breed. Looks like a male Black Sex-Link with female plumage.

Both are cockerels. The first one is probably a Black Australorp if it has pinkish-white feet bottoms, since that is a very common black breed. The second bird appears to be a Black Copper Marans.

Both are cockerels. The first one is probably a Black Australorp if it has pinkish-white feet bottoms, since that is a very common black breed. The second bird appears to be a Black Copper Marans.

yeah it has natural skin colored footpads. Pinkish whitish. Def not yellowish. The second has black footpads I believe.

What gives it away? The hens and roosters in both breeds look very similar
The size and redness of their combs and wattles is screaming cockerel. Also, in the top pic I can see that the black one is beginning to develop some of the long, pointed sickle feathers in the tail that are indicative of cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom