1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What ARE we? **Pic Heavy**

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mangled, Mar 23, 2008.

1. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, I have had my chicks from Ideal a month, and still have no idea what kind of birds I was sent. I plan on calling in the AM. They are supposed to be a Wyandotte assortment.
    So, in the meantime, here are some pictures of my 2 "special needs" chicks who are getting ready to go out to the coop with the other babies tomorrow.
    Any ideas on the breeds?

First pic is for size comparison. These chicks were sent the same day. Note the size difference.
    [​IMG]
    Here is my mini chick - a bantam maybe?
    The wing feathers:
    [​IMG]
    Top view:
    [​IMG]
    From the side:
    [​IMG]

Here is the black chick. She/he was spraddle legged, and is now doing well after a week or so on a duct tape splint.
    Wing:
    [​IMG]
    Face:
    [​IMG]
    She/he had no interest in the camera, so the top pic of the two is the best side view I could get.
    And, just because it was a darn cute pic:
    [​IMG]
    So, any ideas, sex or breed, would be hugely appreciated.
    Thanks-
    Em

2. mangled

Sorry to reply to my own post.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks and sorry to be a pest. [​IMG]
    Em

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    The only one I'd even guess at is the first picture where you are holding out the wing (the brownish feathers). I'm guessing an EE on that chick.

4. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Hmmm...I would guess that the brown is a mixed Rhode Island Red, and the black/white is a mixed Barred Rock?

5. mangled

I was originally thinking EE, but check out the yellow legs. EE's are only supposed to have the greenish/slate legs, right?

I want to call Ideal, but I have no idea what breeds I have. Like I said, they were supposed to be a Wyandotte assortment. :|

Em

6. mangled

Okay, this is me:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Just got off the phone with Ideal. They are such a nice bunch of people down there. They pulled my order and said I didn't order the Wyandotte Assortment, I ordered the Surprize Pullet Special.

I was sure I ordered the Wyandottes, but maybe something got mixed up in the processing. Anyways, she assured me they are all pullets (up to 90% accuracy) and she couldn't begin to tell me what they threw in that week.

[​IMG]

So, expect me to be perusing Feathersite for my breeds and coming here with the ones I can't figure out, LOL.

And, after looking at Feathersite, and looking at breeds other than Wyandottes, I think the black one is an Australourpe and the second maybe a Welsummer??

I would be [​IMG] to have some Welsummer hens.
    Em

7. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Wyandottes have rose combs however a single comb can happen.

8. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    i got a barred rock from tractor supply that looks alot like ur blk chick.

the other one i agree with someone eles.. looks like a rhode island red or rir x

9. mangled

I'm going to have to get out the coop on Wednesday when my husband is off and can watch the kids while I get pictures of all my chicks and see what the heck I got.

I was thinking Australourpe because of the slate legs.

Thanks everyone-
    Em

10. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    I have no idea what kind of chicks you have there, but I wanted to tell you that the pic "from the side" looks like it has bunny ears!!! It's soooo cute [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by