what are wrong with my Hens??!!??

Taylor

Songster
11 Years
Dec 14, 2008
I have 46 laying hens.they are still pullets, 27-30 wks old. they are Rhode island reds, barred rocks, buff orpingtons, delawares, and a couple of weeks ago i got 14 eggs in one day, and the next day, 6-7ish, then the next day 3, then 1, then back up to 2-3-4 a day now, what happened to them???? i'm feeding them real good, layer pellets, table scraps, breads etc. and fresh water always, what could be the reason they cut back on egg laying??? and why are the rest not laying yet???
hmm.png
somad.gif

Taylor

Three likely things to consider. First, fall means shortening days which triggers molting. Molting causes production drops. Second, decreased daylight also means added light might be needed to spur on top production. Finally, you likely should consider pests or worms. Others may have other things for you to consider.

they aren't ready to molt, their still young, hatched back in march, and they are all very healthy.

BTW, I don't like to see things like "I feed them lots of treats, including bread". That to me is counter-productive to top egg laying. Also, be sure they are laying the coop. Keep them in the coop until noon before free ranging, if you allow ranging. Most hens lay before noon, at least a high percentage.

they aren't eating them i hope. I have kept them in the coop one day all day long and they layed a few wggs in the nest and one on the floor, so they are just not laying. what can i do to make them start? thanks for the replies!

Likely need to increase light to 14 hrs per day. I have 19 pullets (24 wks tomorrow) and I had 15 eggs yesterday, 14 today. Sounds like something affecting the whole flock - so if they're healthy, they probably need more light.

i bought a timer at Lowe's i need to put it up, I was thinking about running it 2 hrs after dark in the evening, and make it turn on 2 hours before daylight. are these good times to run the light????

The problem with running the light after dark is that the chickens can't see to get on the roost if the light goes out 2 hours after dark. Most people recommend turning it on around 5 am, then off just after daylight. That way, you are providing around 12 or more hours of light, but not leaving them in the dark.

Last edited:
Quote:
I was wondering about this too as my egg production has been down lately due to the light shortage. so do i just set my timer so the light goes on at 5 am to daylight or do i have to do it longer than that?

Back
Top Bottom