What are you doing to stretch a dollar?

I switched my phone service to the Majicjack device that hooks to the computer. The sound isn't great, but it only costs twenty dollars per year. Also, all my towels are white so that I can wash them with bleach. I found the bleach works just as well without any added detergent. It's cheaper and leaves no residue.

I buy powdered milk, and drink mainly water and iced tea. Even when I make it with splenda, it's about $0.25 a gallon.....

Oh, ya, and I have my chickens!! (if only they would start laying!)

Dove

This can not be said enough! "Call and ask".. Call and ask for different /better rates on your telephone, cellphone/cable/sat. providers, even you gas/bank/ccards.. Dh decided to change Internet/TV providers.. He called and cancelled the first company, then called the other company to come put in their box/equipment. Well, the first company called us 6 (SIX) times and the last call was that they would/could save us 600$ per yr and a free DVR.. That's $50 per month difference.. if we came back... Dh still declined.. I told my niece this and she called her company and asked for a different rate/package or she would have to cancel..they gave her a different program (only two different channels) and it saved her over 1/2 her org. price... Call and ask---All any company can do is to say no!!

Last edited:
We stopped drinking soda and only drink iced tea. We buy most of our meats at a IGA supermarket and go to Aldis more often. The dog switched to "Ole Roy" brand dog food. My kids eat school lunch.
I bought a used evening gown for a army function and my DH rides his motorcycle to work if possible. We also rent movies and make our own popcorn or cheese pizza instead of going out for it. We just spread a huge comforter in fron of the TV for the kids , its just as fun. The thermostat is set 1-2 degrees higher or lower depending on the weather......THe only thing my husbands wont go cheap on is toilet paper.

oh i just have to add this when i sa the cpmment from the person below me. I also cut my DH and kids hair. My husbands once a week haircut can be quite costly in the long run.

Last edited:
I have dropped a lot of fast foods. We seem to all feel better with home cooked food. I dry our clothes outside when I am able & they just smell better! I cut my own hair.

I also bought a used sewing machine and started sewing again! I love it. I can "salvage" clothes, alter them as I used to work as an alterationist. It is also a great skill to teach to my kids.

Sewing again has worked out well because I have now been "hired" to sew items for the Civil War Reenactments in this area. It has been so interesting & I am learning a lot along the way. I enjoy studying the fashions "back then." North & South

I think sometimes hard times can make us more creative and realize that cutting expense does not always mean "suffering." We Americans can be quite ingenuous, I believe.
cool.png

Well, I'm off to make some homemade bean curd. "JK"
big_smile.png

Quote:
We are CW reeanctors and we do need sewers like you to repair or fix our tears and wears! I am going to at least try to do a hooped dress but no way I can do the bodice part, its complex to figure out how to make darts and alter to make it fit.

I will learn to save some money to make my own reeancting clothes and save tons of money!

Good luck! I need to find a website for beginner sewers so I can read instructions and learn as I go.

we didn't run the AC all summer (God it was hell!) but it saved us $200 per month. I'm also gonna see if it's possible to get by without the heat this winter by running my gas stove instead. It keeps the house about 60 degrees and it's only cold overnight and in the mornings, which is okay. The kid sits on the couch with his blanket till the oven warms up, then I crack the oven open and he eats breakfast in the kitchen. By the time he's done the house is a decent temp, and business as usual. At night we pile on the blankets....All windows are closed, and rooms that are never accessed are closed off. I hope it works, utilities are a killer!

I asked a relatively rich man I used to fix his Landscape a question and it was: ( what can I do to become a little rich?)
He smiled at me and said: ( it is quite simple) I said what you mean
he said:( Don't do what the poor man does) I said like what, he said( poor man goes and buy a new car, but me rich man buys most of the time a good used one, or poor man eats a lot out, and me always cook at home, then he said: always go shopping at save alot, flie Market, and discount stors, buy chrismas gifts in advance after christmas already gone, and don't drive unless you have a plan to do all your errands.

In our household we rais garden ever year, use cupons, all our clothing were on sale, ( i mean really on sale)( like a shirt for $1.50, shoes for $6.00) and etc.
I drive my diesel truck only if I have to pull a trailer orhaul something heavey for work.
shut down all light we are not using. heat with fire wood, and even sale some.
I fix power tools inmy garage for exta $$.
Omran.

we do all of the above. with the exception of using our fireplace. my wife started using coupons like a crazy woman. she goes to the store and pays $5 or so for $50-100 of stuff. we are stocked up on all of the neccesities. we spend $50 a week on food for a family of 3. we always write a meal plan and buy only the ingredients we dont already have. we combine all of our trips. here in OR we get 5 cents a can/bottle refund. so i collect them from our friends and it goes directly into my daughters college fund. in 18 months we have recycled $1100. lights dont get turned on until well after dark. thermo for the house sits at 56 overnite then 62 when we are home in the evening. we use cloth diapers, and the wife still breast feeds on occasion. we did use a clothes line up until 2 weeks ago when the rains finally moved into the PNW. CFL bulbs in every light fixture in the house. i just re caulked around every window in the house. i think that is about all we have done and i am still looking for places to save money as i am currently unemployed.
jason

I really need to read this thread...we are spenders......but not good to do...DH is laid off at the moment, and I am a stay at home mom with an income of around $1000 a month. DH is a union carpenter and winters are tough work when he is working....we can spend TONS on just his work clothing.
The chickens are great.....and they are paying for themselves......plus any extra is pocket money for our son (who is 9)

~Tiff~

Back
Top Bottom