What are you feeding your baby quails?

Kaisahr

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2023
Have about 20 eggs due to hatch in a few days, looking to keep a few for egg production to continue raising future quail, but most will be for meat. I see people say they need higher protein than chickens? But i just feed my chickens 16% layer plus kitchen scraps, never had an issue. Even my geese/ducks do just fine on that. Do quails REALLY need 30% Purina game bird protein starter or will they be just fine with the cheaper 16% chicken layer?

I'm not opposed to running down to tractor supply and picking up a 30% protein bag as long as i don't need to feed them that for their entire growth cycle, but how long would they need that higher protein food for until i can replace it with the cheaper 16%? This is my first time and I'm trying to do it on a budget, not looking to blast money on something I'm not keeping long-term for the most part, thanks.

Have about 20 eggs due to hatch in a few days, looking to keep a few for egg production to continue raising future quail, but most will be for meat. I see people say they need higher protein than chickens? But i just feed my chickens 16% layer plus kitchen scraps, never had an issue. Even my geese/ducks do just fine on that. Do quails REALLY need 30% Purina game bird protein starter or will they be just fine with the cheaper 16% chicken layer?

I'm not opposed to running down to tractor supply and picking up a 30% protein bag as long as i don't need to feed them that for their entire growth cycle, but how long would they need that higher protein food for until i can replace it with the cheaper 16%? This is my first time and I'm trying to do it on a budget, not looking to blast money on something I'm not keeping long-term for the most part, thanks.
I started out feeding my newly hatched Coturnix with Purina Game Bird Starter which is 30% protein, but I found a more local feed mill https://www.goldenoakmilling.com/poultry-rations/ that has a 28% starter and a 24% grower which is a bit low on calcium but I supplement with oyster shell and/or egg shells. I use the 28% until their 3 weeks old, or so, then transition them to the 24%. I don't have any young birds at the moment so can't recall what the cost for the 28% was, but it was less than $20 for 50 pounds. I buy the 24% two 50 pound bags at a time and it's about $38. The birds like the feed and I like that it has fishmeal as a protein source in addition to whatever plant protein they use.

Here's the tag info for the 28%

Golden Oak Game Bird Starter #28​

A Complete Feed For Growing Turkeys from 0-24 Weeks, Pheasants from 0-17 Weeks, and Starting & Growing Quail
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Min) …………. 28% Calcium (Ca) (Max) …….,… 1.25%
Lysine (Min) ………………… 1.60% Phosphorus (P) (Min) ………. .80%
Methionine (Min) ……………. .55% Salt (NaCl) (Min) ……………. .20%
Crude Fat (Min) ……………… 2.0% Salt (NaCl) (Max) …..�…… .50%
Crude Fiber (Max) ………….. 5.0% Sodium (Na) (Min) …………. .20%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) ….�.. .90% Sodium (Na) (Max) …………. .50%
Ingredients: Plant protein products, grain products, processed grain byproducts, animal protein products (fishmeal), calcium carbonate, monocalcium phosphate, di-calcium phosphate, molasses products, salt choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, niacin, biotin, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, ferrous car-bonate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, zinc sulfate, copper oxide, cobalt carbonate, ethylenediamine dihydriodide.

And for the 24%

Golden Oak Game Bird Grower #24​

A Complete Feed For Growing Turkeys from 8-12 Weeks, Pheasants from 9-17 Weeks, and Starting & Growing Quail
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Min) ……………………………………………………………………………… 24%
Lysine (Min) …………………………………………………………………………………….. 1.30%
Methionine (Min) ……………….�……………………………………………………………. .30%
Crude Fat (Min) ………………………………………………………………………………….. 2.0%
Crude Fiber (Max) …………………………………………………………………………….. 5.25%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) ……………………………………………………………………………. 1.00%
Calcium (Ca) (Max) …………………………………………………………………………… 1.50%
Phosphorus (P) (Min) ………………………………………………………………………….. .50%
Salt (NaCl) (Min) ……………………………………………………………………………….. .15%
Salt (NaCl) (Max) ………………………………………………………………………………. .35%
Sodium (Na) (Min) …………………………………………………………………………….. .20%
Sodium (Na) (Max) ……………………………………………………………………………. .50%
Ingredients: Grain products, plant protein products, animal protein products (fishmeal), molasses products, calcium carbonate, monocalcium phosphate, dical-cium phosphate, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, niacin, biotin, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vita-min B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid.

As you can see, different people have different theories on feeding young gamebird chicks. But in general, hatchlings should be provided a high protein feed for 6 to 8 weeks. A medium range protein there after, unless they are meat birds, then I would continue to feed high protein feed until processing.

I feed a 24% protein feed from hatch until death, it's a "middle of the road" feed, protein wise.

16% protein feeds are not enough protein for gamebirds, I wouldn't even consider that as a maintaining feed.

Back
Top Bottom