What Are You Using For A Fount?

Yes, no matter how cold it is the chickens spend their days outside. Of course I have the run winterized. First, it has a roof. Then I staple clear vinyl shower curtains on 3 sides of the run to prevent breezes blowing through. They are perfectly happy outside. Their food and water is kept in the run, not the coop. The temperature in the coop is the same as outside.

Heat is harder on chickens than cold. Think about how you would feel if you were wearing a down jacket when the temperature was 70 degrees. Those little wrens and sparrows seem to do well for the most part even when it is cold. Why wouldn't a chicken do just as well?

Yeah my wife calls my coop/run "The Taj Mahal"... Obviously what you're doing is working and I've always known the coop can be too warm ... I monitor my coop wirelessly to monitor temps... As a kid our chickens barely had a roof over their head and they survived so I'm not sure where my chicken mentality 🤔 came from. It's all BYC s fault...lol

Yeah I'm approaching 70 and have had birds throughout my life but I discovered how little I knew until BYC came along...

Yeah my wife calls my coop/run "The Taj Mahal"... Obviously what you're doing is working and I've always known the coop can be too warm ... I monitor my coop wirelessly to monitor temps... As a kid our chickens barely had a roof over their head and they survived so I'm not sure where my chicken mentality 🤔 came from. It's all BYC s fault...lol
I have never lost a chicken to the cold. Have never lost a chicken in the winter for any reason. They seem to thrive in cooler weather.

Back
Top Bottom