What are you using to freeze your meat birds?

ceeceeholt

Songster
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
Alabama
This is our first time with Meat Birds and I am wondering what everyone is using to put the birds in for the freezer. Freezer bags, freezer paper? Do you mainly freeze whole, cut or a little of both? thank you all in advance!

In addition to the original question, how long have you kept chicken in the freezer and it still be ok? Meaning if you would do 1 batch of meaties a year, would it still be okay almost a year after processing?

I use freezer bags that tje processor puts them in. Yes they will last that long, as long as you freeze right away. I always do whole birds, it cost more to have them cut up.

Doing our own processing and it was a struggle to find freezer bags we put the culled roos in and they were just dual birds. I've seen freezer paper, but not sure how good it is without freezer burn.

I purchased some very cool shrink-wrap bags from this site: http://poultryshrinkbags.blogspot.com/

They do a really nice tidy job of wrapping a whole chicken. If I've halved the chicken or cut it into pieces (or made sausage), I use these vacume seal bags called "FoodSaver" that I got in the food storage section of Walmart. I actually purchased the little hand-held vacume device that you use to suck the air out of the bag once it is sealed, but have found that the regular vacume cleaner works much better and faster.

My chickens were butchered in July, and I have yet to find any freezer burn or spoilage with either of these two storage methods.

I used a FoodSaver with the 11 inch roll and was able to do 7 pound carcasses. That's a tight fit - the 11 inch won't hold anything larger.

Occasionally, the bags will loose their seal in the freezer (even on smaller birds) so we use those first.

If I did not already have the food saver I would probably go with shrink wrap if processing groups of birds. For one-at-a-time processing the FoodSaver is probably more convenient - just plug it in and press the button.

Food Saver all the way! I have used it for whole and half chickens. I also piece some of mine out into legs/thighs, breasts, and wings. I have a couple packages from April 2012 and they have zero freezer burn on them. It's worth the money! You can get value size rolls at Sam's Club. My first Food Saver lasted me almost 10 years, then I gave it to my brother so I could get a newer, smaller model. He says it still works. I highly recommend Food Saver!

Last year I Used shrink bags for the first time it was Quick and easy and I still have 2 Chickens Left in the freezer from last year and Look great , I will be ordering my bags again soon Because Processing day will come quicker than you know . Enjoy

Back
Top Bottom