What are your coop regrets?

I have never had chickens before, and I just recieved 55 in the mail. I have a 26 X 18 steel barn I'm converting to a coop, which by my calculations will house well over a 100 if I don't decide I hate chickens in the next few months.......
smile.png

I'm planning a run that will be roughly 50 X 100 around the barn.

My philosophy here is that if its worth doing, its definately worth blowing completely out of proportion....
wink.png

-Jared

Quote:
lol.png

Yes, that is exactly it... DH = dear husband, and DBF = dear boy friend...
aka cheap labor...
lau.gif

Coop is being built even as I type this. DBF (aka "cheap labor") lined the bottom with stick-on lineoleum & we're going to use deep litter method. He read that the flooring helps when it's time to clean up.

Our coop is small but big enough for our 4 girls. Finished size, with nesting box & food storage bin, is 7' x 30" - it's going in our side yard between our house & our neighbor's house. The run will be about 8' x 5'. DBF is making it in such a way that he coudl make a mirror image of it someday if needed & attach it.

Will psot pics once it's done.

And yeah, Coffeelady - that 90 degree weather was killer!

Finishing the new coop this week. What I did differently this time was to add two nice big windws to use plenty of mother nature's natural light. I also put a double door in to aid in clean out. When complete, you will be able to open just one side of the double door to access the feed and storage area for daily maintenance. then you can open the other half that will access the chicken's area for easy clean out. Don't know if I am explaining well or not, will post some pics soon to explain better.
smile.png

My regret is that we didn't finish the coop right off the bat. We desperately needed to get the chicks out of the brooder, so we only partly finished the coop. Now in a month or two we're going to have to clean it all out so we can insulate it, and then we have to put boards up on the outside of the coop to cover the tarpaper.

Funny you say that, I was starting to panick alittle becuase my chicks arrived a few days ago, and I don't have the barn or run ready. Was thinking about cutting corners and finishing inside construction once they are living in there. I think I'll go ahead and just "get 'er done" though. that way I won't be working around 55 chickens.

Could get ugly.

-Jared

WIsh it were bigger so I could have more chickens
sad.png
Now we have to keep it to 20. AND I will put fence around the coop's bottom so the chickens can't hide under the coop...hard to catch them when I need them to go in! Other then that I LOVE my coop...love the fact that we insulated because it stays cool on a hot day and warm on a cool day
smile.png

I wish the door opened OUT instead of IN. Such a pain shoving the shavings out of the way...

Wish the windows were bigger.

Back
Top Bottom