1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are your favorite books?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by andisgarden, Apr 5, 2009.

1. andisgarden

andisgarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    I am a newbie and I was wondering...What books are must haves for a chicken newbie? I want to add 3-4 books preferably one with health issues, another with info on general raising of chicks and chickens, and one or two about breeds and temperament.

I have lots to choose from and it is a bit overwhelming. Thanks

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Keep Chickens! by Barbara Kilarski
    Living With Chickens by Jay Rossier

I like these two books for beginners, they break down the necessary info into very manageable chapters.

Storey's Guide to Chickens is very comprehensive & thorough, but can be a bit overwhelming to beginners with a small backyard flock. At least it was for me.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I love Storey's Guide to Chickens. Most of the other books I've seen skip so much information that you need. It's like they're only half written.

4. andisgarden

andisgarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    What about Extraordinary chickens or EXTRA extraordinary chickens? I have heard some good reviews on those books. I don't want to spend a lot of money on useless trifle.

5. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    the Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow published by Storey Publishing

6. moonflowers

moonflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    I also am new and I bought three chicken books to prepare for my little chicks' coming.

Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens definately overwhelmed me at first but now that I have read two other books and numerous websites and have my chicks I find it a completely valuable reference and would recommend it as a resource if not an easy read.

Hobby Farms Chickens by Sue Weaver was full of information and has some great pictures which really help. It is not too overwhelming and served as a great starting point for me. I highly recommend it for a beginner who wants good easy to access info.

Keep Chickens by Barbara Kilarski was a charming read and very entertaining but did not have much information. She mostly told stories of her chickens which did prepare me for a few things (like the way some chicks look dead while they're sleeping) but if you don't want happy stories then I would go for a different book.

For me personally, the combination of these three plus BYC's site has been all I needed.
    Hope that helped!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by