What are your ideas about nest boxes?

Winters Witch

Chirping
9 Years
May 1, 2012
Belfast, Pa
Hello fellow BYCers!

I am just about to start building my nest boxes for my girls. I was wondering if what worked well for you? I have heard that round next boxes are preferred over square woooden ones. has anyone built round ones?

My ladies aren't laying yet, they are too young, but they will be soon!

You can use old pepsi crates too...but I had a round nest box that hung two inches of the ground and the hens liked it...it was meant for a hangling palnt but I put straw in it.

My girls do happy in square(ish) boxes. The best advice I can give would be to make the boxes accessible from the outside. My coop is from pallets and difficult to get into. Putting the boxes on one of the walls with access from the outside was the best advice I got.

I used the square milk crates.... I used 8 total. 3 across and 2 high and 2 upsidedown as legs. So I have a total of 6 nestboxes. My girl's love them. I attatched them together with screws an zip ties. I cut pieces of plywood for the bottoms, to make a solid surface. I put a 1"x2" the entire lengh of the crates to hold the bedding in and for my girs to pearch on. Hope this maks sence....
smile.png

Round ones take a little more effort to make, but I hear square is just as productive to use. Also a side note, make sure you have something to lock the top of the nesting box so the chickens don't poke their heads out of it, I had a minor problem with that.

So much great advice!!!! I have an access door that i will be able to get inside, which makes things easy to maintain. I am leaning towards plastic, so that i can easily hose them out if they get dirty.

Joe G, Nice set up!!!! I only have 5 chickens! Love your chicken bookcase!! ha ha

totes, milk crates, I have both in the basement I am going to have to experiment!

Back
Top Bottom