What are YOUR laws?

rozmiarek

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 22, 2007
Worthington, OH
I've been putting together a presentation for my local city council. I want to be able to give examples of other communities that allow chickens, and what their codes state.

I know I can search each specific community online, but the time involved to do that is prohibitive. It would be very useful to have a concise list of places that specifically allow chickens. In addition to being a great help to other folks who are looking to update their local ordinances, I'm sure it will be very useful to journalists covering this increasingly popular story.

Letting people know that there are others out there who are keeping chickens makes the practice seem more acceptable locally.

Please post here with a concise description of your local laws. Please post only if you know with relative certainty what the law states, and only if chickens are permitted. Also, mention any restrictions (number of birds, no roosters, property size, etc..).

Ideally, this will be a place where someone can get a list to show their own town council that many other towns allow chickens, and theirs should too.

Laws? What laws?
lau.gif

I asked at our town hall (our town has 500 ppl) and they didn't know, so I went ahead and built a coop and got chickens...nobody has complained yet, but that may be because I give out fresh eggs!!!!

b) Permit. A person desiring to keep cattle, horses, sheep, goats, fowl or swine within the city shall obtain a permit, which shall include such conditions of shelter and maintenance as may be prescribed by the city. If the designated city officer, after viewing the premises and the conditions, approves such permit for the keeping and harboring of animals or fowl within the city, the application for the permit shall be submitted to the city council for its consideration, and the council may either grant or deny such application. If granted, the permit shall permit the keeping and harboring of the animals or fowl within the city only at the pleasure of, in the discretion of, and until the further order of the council.​

Austin TX - Hens must be kept 50 feet from neighboring houses. You have to remove noisy birds (I assume they mean roosters) from your flock if neighbors complain. Enclosures must be clean and not attract flies.

I had always heard that the ordinance stated a max of 10 or 12 fowl on a single family lot, but I just searched online and it does not state a max number of fowl a resident can keep.

I do not know the accuracy of their info, but this link might give you a start.

Last edited:
Hello Andy, I am your neighbor! I am in Columbus (and I also own 2 properties in Worthington that I rent out, not too far from you, lol).

I have looked into the Columbus laws, because I am getting ready to build a coop and start out with 4 chicks. Thankfully, Columbus is also (fairly) progressive, with a mayor who "gets it".

Here is a layman's decsription of the law (the law is too much to type):

Columbus requires written permission from the health commissioner, a coop with a floor, and a habitat that's "reasonably inoffensive" to neighbors. I am sure "reasonably inoffensive" is a matter of opinion and could be troublesome if you have snooty neighbors, but I think if my coop is not built with junkyard garbage, I should be okay.

I saw someone's post that suggested giving your neighbors fresh egss, and I think that is a FAB idea to keep the m appeased.
big_smile.png

I have the permit request in hand. You basically have to answer 6 questions:

1. how do you plan to protect the public from being harmed by the hens?

2. How do you plan to protect other animals fro infectious disease that the hens may carry?

3. How do you plan to confine the hens?

4. What is the minimum standard of care by you to prevent a crual or inhumane situation from existing with your hens?

5. Detail your plans for feeding, cleaning, and vet care for your hens.

6. have you ever been convicted of failure to confine an animal, control and animal, or cruelty to any animal?

That's not too gritty, I think I can answer all that.

Interesting sidenote - it looks like the Columbus law also allows (subject to the approval by the city in each circumstance) goats, llamas, horses, cows, alligators (haha), sheep, and other creatures. I think I will stick with the chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom