What are your thoughts? Hen or Roo

blueacai

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Can any help me ease my mind - Now that the girls are getting bigger, I am afraid they might turn out a roo - I have one hen (mona) who is actively laying and Mimzy, who I think layed a few, she is young - But the other 3 polish hens havent layed yet, no crowing(hens I hope is why) - thank you!

Reese - Polish

JoJo- Polish???

Mimzy - Frizzle?sizzle?

Mona (Laying)

Doesnt have a name yet - I believe she is a polish/silkie

Last edited:

mljohnson05

Songster
8 Years
May 16, 2011
Missouri
The only one i am concerned about is Pic #2...they have really shiny feathers growing in ..the rest look hen to me

De

Songster
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
Camden,AR
All look like pullets...but none of them are polish...they are sizzle...frizzle/silkie cross...
I love them and they should make good moms....

blueacai

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Thanks Everyone! JoJO #2 was tiny when we first got her - the other one identical to her went from a Molly to a MO - and he got BIG in a matter of weeks. I am hoping they are at the age to start laying -

The below are very recent - Within mins

1. Is rather up close - JoJo gets intrique by the camera...lol Somedays her tail is not this big... one days like this... it makes me wonder -

Reese

They really are awesome chicks - Mona has been sitting on some wooden eggs for the last week or so. I caught her hanging round the hen house inside - So I put wooden eggs in there to see what she would do. In the morning I gentle lift her off the nest take the real egg and let her alone

I greatly appreciate your thoughts - We went through 3 roos before hopefully ending her - with the girls. One of these days I will get her a real egg to hatch and fullfill motherhood, not just sitting on fake eggs. I just can't right now -

Last edited:

blueacai

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Its a pretty accent to her.....it has me wondering too. She's at least 6 months... no crowing..just honking when the kids come around...

JulieNKC

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 25, 2010
Kansas City
My black silkie/ game hen mix has a blue/green sheen to her feathers. Silkies take awhile to lay, mine didn't start til 6 months. Yours look like silkie mixes so will probably start any day.

Top Bottom