What are your thoughts? Hen or Roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by blueacai, Jun 2, 2011.

1. blueacai

blueacai New Egg

Mar 6, 2011
    Can any help me ease my mind - Now that the girls are getting bigger, I am afraid they might turn out a roo - I have one hen (mona) who is actively laying and Mimzy, who I think layed a few, she is young - But the other 3 polish hens havent layed yet, no crowing(hens I hope is why) - thank you!
    [​IMG]
    Reese - Polish
    [​IMG]
    JoJo- Polish???
    [​IMG]
    Mimzy - Frizzle?sizzle?
    [​IMG]
    Mona (Laying)
    [​IMG]
    Doesnt have a name yet - I believe she is a polish/silkie

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    They all look like pretty girls.

3. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    The only one i am concerned about is Pic #2...they have really shiny feathers growing in ..the rest look hen to me

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    You have some cool looking chickens!!!

5. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    All look like pullets...but none of them are polish...they are sizzle...frizzle/silkie cross...
    I love them and they should make good moms....

6. blueacai

blueacai New Egg

Mar 6, 2011
    Thanks Everyone! JoJO #2 was tiny when we first got her - the other one identical to her went from a Molly to a MO - and he got BIG in a matter of weeks. I am hoping they are at the age to start laying -

The below are very recent - Within mins [​IMG]

1. Is rather up close - JoJo gets intrique by the camera...lol Somedays her tail is not this big... one days like this... it makes me wonder -
    [​IMG]

Reese

[​IMG]

They really are awesome chicks - Mona has been sitting on some wooden eggs for the last week or so. I caught her hanging round the hen house inside - So I put wooden eggs in there to see what she would do. In the morning I gentle lift her off the nest take the real egg and let her alone [​IMG]

I greatly appreciate your thoughts - We went through 3 roos before hopefully ending her - with the girls. One of these days I will get her a real egg to hatch and fullfill motherhood, not just sitting on fake eggs. I just can't right now -

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  7. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    the sheen on JoJo's feathers still has me wondering, but that is the only Rooish sign to me

8. blueacai

blueacai New Egg

Mar 6, 2011
    Its a pretty accent to her.....it has me wondering too. She's at least 6 months... no crowing..just honking when the kids come around...

9. Roo on Harley

Roo on Harley Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Texas
    Pretty looking girls, nice job on the raising [​IMG]

10. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    My black silkie/ game hen mix has a blue/green sheen to her feathers. Silkies take awhile to lay, mine didn't start til 6 months. Yours look like silkie mixes so will probably start any day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by