What are your top five items for first aid kit?

HyperCello

Chirping
Feb 10, 2020
Cincinnati, Ohio
I should be getting my chicks next month, and I found a few threads about what to put in a first aid kit. It was so overwhelming. So I want to know what are your top five things you use in your first aid kit? I'll continue to add to my kit as time goes on, but I have no idea where to start/what's most important. :)

Vetericyn, Save-a-chick, Fur Zone, Rooster booster, fish mox... But that's just for starters 😆
JPEG_20200222_065935_5004844381473752304.jpg

Way more than 5! But...
Corid is a must in any first aid kit.
I also have:
Vetericyn plus
Nu-stock pine tar
Blukote
Prid
Poultry nutri-drench
chick electrolytes
heavy duty nail files and dog nail clippers
small tub just large enough to fit my largest hen for butt soaks
a jar of coconut oil
docusate sodium
mineral oil
Poultry wound cleanser
piperazine citrate
Safeguard goat wormer
Calcium citrate
Elector PSP
10% Permethrin

I also have an assortment of fish antibiotics which I thankfully have not had to use.

I give electrolytes in one waterer during temperature extremes (winter and summer).
I give Poultry nutri-drench about 2 times a week for a nutritive boost and any time a bird is stressed or under support for some reason.

I preventatively rub coconut oil on legs to help ward off SLM.

Nails/spurs are checked and filed as needed. Thus far, only the rooster has required any dulling of nails just to help minimize feather damage to the hens and pullets when he mounts them.

Last edited:
Poultry Cell or NutriDrench vitamins with electrolyte drops
Triple Antibiotic Ointment or Polysporin
Corid Liquid for a coccidiosis outbreak (if you are not getting them vaccinated)
Hibiclens or chlorhexidene disinfectant
Vet wrap or cohesive bandage—narrow if available, but can be cut into 1 inch strips
Extras—coconut oil

I like @Eggcessive 's list, short and to the point. DON'T load up on supplies that will age out before you ever think you might want them! Buy parasite meds when you need them, not when the chicks arrive! It could be years before mites arrive, or a serious intestinal worm infection happens, if ever.
Antibiotics are not first choice meds for your birds either, and they age out, should rarely be needed, and most are not approved for chickens anyway.
Our home first aid kit fits everyone here, so there's very little that is poultry specific.
Mary

Thanks! Do you use the Save-a-chick only when they are sick? How often do you use the rooster booster?
Rooster Booster I use from time to time, just because they love the taste and it's a great vitimen booster during harsh (hot or cold) weather or times of stress like moving from broader to coop, or just for the heck of it.. If my girls are stuck in the coop on heavy rain or snow days, the gulp it up...
Save a chick is good for when sick, but also wonderful on hot days, or if the broader is hot.. I have experimented with with new chick withpit using it every 3 days, verses chicks I never gave it to, I lost alot of chicks due to poor health/illness for those I never gave it to.
But "Corid" is an awesome thing to have on hand, if you dont give Sav-A-Chic, chances are, you will need "Corid" to treat the internal parasites .... That has been my experience... But I have only been at it for 2yrs, and @Eggcessive has gotten me through alot of illnesses, so she has the better advice

Poultry Cell or NutriDrench vitamins with electrolyte drops
Triple Antibiotic Ointment or Polysporin
Corid Liquid for a coccidiosis outbreak (if you are not getting them vaccinated)
Hibiclens or chlorhexidene disinfectant
Vet wrap or cohesive bandage—narrow if available, but can be cut into 1 inch strips
Extras—coconut oil
Ditto this and add vetricyn vf spray, sav a chick electrolytes, small permethrin 10% concentrate and nu stock cream.
Good set of tweezers and small scissors and a head lamp.
Ditto the dont stock up on a bunch of stuff, a lot of things have expiration dates.

Back
Top Bottom