what bantam breeds

My silkies lay very good when they are not setting. My mother has had some OEGB and Cochins that layed well too when they were not setting. All the bantams I have had anything to do with set frequently.

I have Dutch bantams and find them to be very prolific layers. there eggs are large when you consider how small a Dutch hen is. The eggs average over an ounce each. A large egg from a standard hen weighs about two ounces. JB

Last edited:
sorry to be an ignoramus here but im newish to keeping chickens and only have standards at this stage ( 24 of them...various breeds). Apart from the fact that they are really cute is there a point to keeping bantams? I mean i assume you can eat the eggs but they are just smaller right?

Im really not trying to offend anyone who keeps bantams and they are certainly cute lil buggars but is that the main appeal?

The appeal of bantams for me is that they are small, do lay eggs, and are cheap to keep. I started w/cochins(to me bantam cochins are much better looking than the standard variety) and now I'm on to Wyandotte bantams. yes they lay very well-not on level of leghorns. If I was after eggs, I'd have a flock of leghorns.

The main appeal for me is that we are a bit urban and they are small! If I were to have standard chickens, I MAY be able to get away with 4-6 in my yard before the noise got too much for the neighbors. I have 6 bantams, and am planning on getting another 6 in the spring, and so far, they are no noisier than the wild birds in the trees!!! Also, the coop size for 12 bantams is the same as you would build for only 6 standards--- and in a small backyard with neighbors close, we have to have a smallish coop.

I want as many chickens as possible because the personality and flock inter-dynamics are amazing to watch! I also wanted to try different breeds and see which were the calmest/friendliest/broodiest. Also, the smaller pullets are easier for my children to hold and cuddle on their laps, and not as intimidating as a standard hen might be.

To be honest, I could almost care less about the eggs-- we see them as a bonus-- and to have to use 2 bantam eggs for every 1 egg in a recipe seems like a small trade for the above benefits! (We are more excited about the poop for the compost pile than the eggs, if you can believe that one!
smile.png

I just recently got my chickens (I have wanted for 13 years)

I have 7 Araucana standards for eggs as I got more into chickens

kids wanted chickens - bantams of any breed are suppose to be gentle & loving so we started with silkies (cute) now we have 10 cochins brooding in tub 1/2 are frizzled

I am hooked they are so cute
& fun to play with!!!

so I was thinking because you can have twice the bantams as standards I might get a couple more of something the eggs are an excuse for me to get more!

here is my favorite!

Tyler Penguin
Picture222.jpg

thanks very much for the info guys. We have 11 bearded silkie eggs in our home made incubator currently of which I can see 5 wriggling embryos with candling and I think the other 6 eggs are no good. I have wanted white silkies since I was as kid but I must say i did not know they were bantams ( or that bantams existed to be honest). I have a separate pen organized for them. We have 5 acres so we have plenty of room for the birds so I might get a few more silkies also. I really like the buff polish also...are they bantams or standards or do they come in both varieties?

Back
Top Bottom