What bantam can I have with silkies that lays eggs I know arn't silkie

Fancie

Songster
11 Years
Oct 31, 2008
Illinois
I primararly raise silkies, but I have a few brambas, cochins, and a d'uccles... will I be able to tell who laid what eggs?

-------------------edit changed titles.... question added post 7 -------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to spend time in the coop in order to recognize which hen laid which egg.

OR you can take food coloring, Q-tip a color onto their vent at night when the lights are out, then memorize which hen laid which egg.

We got 10 eggs today out of 14 hens. I know two that didn't lay... I've got to figure out the other two that aren't laying.

Q-tips at the ready!

Quote:
after a while you might be able to tell what breed laied this egg or that egg, but that's it, unless you hire somebody all daylight shift to catch them in action
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

For the first few weeks after our flock started laying, we ran out every time one was in the nesting box, so we'd know what her egg looked like. I actually marked every single egg with the first letter of their names...
smile.png
for quite a while, until I became tired of it.
We have all kinds of different hens, too, and their egg colors range between almost pink to dark brown, and so we pretty much know who layed which one, for the most part.

Are the brahmas bantams? They should be brown eggs, I believe, and large if they're not bantams. The millies and cochins may be similar, but eventually you will catch someone laying an egg and you'll know. I can tell which eggs are which between the white silkies, each of the blue silkies, and even the millies I can tell which hen is laying. It takes a while, but it will happen.
smile.png

I have a bunch of different kinds and for the life of me I can't tell the difference... Austraulorp, Cochin (White & Partridge) and Black Star - no ideas.... The Araucanas are easier because they are blue, but no idea which girl laid which egg, if I needed to know...
We just hatched a dozen eggs laid over three days - no ideas who the mommas are!! That is the only time I have really wanted to know - wish I had known about the food coloring vent trick, never thought of that...

I just want to be able to hatch the silkie eggs and eat the mutt eggs. What bantam breeds would be good to have with silkies so I know which is an eating egg and which is a hatching egg?

I can keep the brambas it says cause they lay brown eggs... but any others??

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Your cochins & brahmas should have a darker egg - a light brown. You will be able to tell that these are not silkie eggs. Your silkies & d'uccles will have a cream or "tinted" egg. That should make it harder to tell... Are all your roosters silkies?

all my roosters will be silkies, yep. too bad I really liked the d'uccle she is so cute.

So my Frizzles (I'm getting friday) will lay tinted eggs than???

What about sultans???

Back
Top Bottom