Votes: 29 9.9%
  • Gravel

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pine shavings

Votes: 190 64.8%
  • Other

Votes: 37 12.6%

• Total voters
I use pine shaving in the coop under the roosts. In the run I tried using straw for mud control but it just seem to make a mess. Lately it has been dry so I haven't put anything out in the run, just the soil. However, it is starting to rain again so I am thinking about putting some 3/4 minus to help with mud control.

on sand and how easy it is to maintain. Please visit my blog and I'm sure it will convince you that there is truly NO OTHER WAY. If you currently don't use sand, I encourage you to come see as well. It may very well convince you to change over. It is heavenly!!

Sincerely,
Kelly

Our Country Chronicles
Wow! thanks! I'm a little bit concerned about it becomeing wet and then frozan in the winter though......I think I might try it!

Quote:Country Parson I do think your right. I started this to see what was working for people, I've heard of people useing this method and wated to know what they thought of it along with everything else. Sorry if it was confusing, my bad. :)

Wow! thanks! I'm a little bit concerned about it becomeing wet and then frozan in the winter though......I think I might try it!

Don't worry about winter Emily. I live in Michigan and have not had a problem. Dirt ground freezes as well. Sand will freeze if it's wet (just like dirt), but when it dries, it is much "cleaner" than dirt. The sand in my coop is dry (protected from the elements) and it NEVER freezes. It's much cleaner walking through a wet sandy run than it is through a wet "muddy" run. This of course is of huge benefit to the chickens. When it's dry, it is the BEST!

As long as the chickens have a place to roost in the winter, they'll fare just fine.

Last edited:
I use Straw, and layer with DE. Helps to dry
up the droppings and makes using a pitch fork
easier. I muck out the coop about every 2 weeks.
Makes my compost pile happy!

Regarding the comments about the deep litter method...yes, this is a method instead of a precise bedding ingredient but no, it would not work with all of the ingredients listed in the poll. For example, you could not do the deep litter method with sand as the purpose of the deep litter method is to have the bedding ingredient breaking down alongside the poop in a continually composting action. The compost action releases some heat, which is why it's a great method for cooler climates as it is warmer underfoot than I imagine sand to be in the midst of winter.

Straw and hay would also be poor deep litter ingredients as they are too big to break down easily and tend to clump and hold moisture. The ideal deep litter bedding can be easily churned under by the scratching of the chickens because a) you want the fresh poop turned under to eliminate smell, and b) you want to introduce oxygen into the bedding to support composting.

I began my bedding with a 3-4 inch layer of composted dirt from my 2-yr-old compost pile to transfer all the necessary micro-organisms for composting. Then, I added yard waste (grass clippings and leaves). Every day I throw kitchen scraps (only fruit and veg, no meat or dairy) onto their bedding, especially targeting areas under the roost that have fresh manure. My goal is to have the chickens scratch under fresh manure in the process of eating the kitchen scraps. Every 8 weeks in summer and every 4-6 weeks in winter (depending on how much time they spend inside) I add another 6 inches of leaves and rake around any clumped/wet spots so they can dry out.

Every visitor I have to my coop comments on the fact that there is no smell. And, I only have to clean it once a year... in the spring this bedding will go right into my garden.

So, here is my question that I've been wanting to ask for awhile. Why do people use poop boards? In every other aspect of society we seek to bury poop as it it smelly and nasty to handle. Yet, poop boards are specifically designed to hold the poop up in the air (which means maximum smelliness, to me). I understand some people clean their poop boards daily but...what if you can't? Life happens and there would be times the poop boards wouldn't get cleaned. So, why create a system that requires daily cleaning or else there are seriously stinky consequences? I'm truly curious as I always feel like I'm missing something when people exclaim that they love their poop boards.

I like the deep litter method with yard waste as bedding because I clean only once a year and there is no smell from my coop.

In the coop I use sand in the warm to moderate months and pine shavings in the winter. With the shavings I started with 2 or 3 inches, then added a few inches bi-weekly. Breaks down nicely and will go on the garden in a couple of weeks when I change back over to sand.

Poop board user, I keep a 1/4" layer or so of sand on it now to prevent sticking and promote absorption. I feel it does four things for me.

1. Keeps heavy poop saturation down with daily or every two day quick scraping into a bucket. Especially in the winter when they are all roosted in a tight huddle and pooping in small concentrated area.
2. Provides a nice protected place to hang the feeder under and in the summer, waterer. This provides more floor space for landing/scratching areas. Less clutter.

3. Eliminates a lot of bending over in the summer when we come in with a sifter to clean the sand floor. With the poop board schedule we only need to do this every two weeks or so, as we've tried to keep the bird's interest up in staying outside. So the majority of the poop is only from roosted birds.

4. Gives the birds a good safe level to land on before they step up on the perch or into the nesting boxes.

Tried it as an experiment this winter and it will definately stay.

In the coop I use sand in the warm to moderate months and pine shavings in the winter. With the shavings I started with 2 or 3 inches, then added a few inches bi-weekly. Breaks down nicely and will go on the garden in a couple of weeks when I change back over to sand.

Poop board user, I keep a 1/4" layer or so of sand on it now to prevent sticking and promote absorption. I feel it does four things for me.

1. Keeps heavy poop saturation down with daily or every two day quick scraping into a bucket. Especially in the winter when they are all roosted in a tight huddle and pooping in small concentrated area.
2. Provides a nice protected place to hang the feeder under and in the summer, waterer. This provides more floor space for landing/scratching areas. Less clutter.

3. Eliminates a lot of bending over in the summer when we come in with a sifter to clean the sand floor. With the poop board schedule we only need to do this every two weeks or so, as we've tried to keep the bird's interest up in staying outside. So the majority of the poop is only from roosted birds.

4. Gives the birds a good safe level to land on before they step up on the perch or into the nesting boxes.

Tried it as an experiment this winter and it will definately stay.

Thanks for explaining why poop boards work for you. I appreciate the info. I guess it comes down to...if you're going to clean often then poop boards make it easier. And, therefore, this explains why they aren't necessary for my deep litter method because I'm only cleaning it out once a year (in the spring). And, regarding the landing zone--I have a ladder roost they can use if they don't want to jump, but the deep litter is so spongy they usually just jump right down and seem to have quite a cushioned landing.

So, then, here's my follow-up question. Where does the poop go? That is, where do you dump the poop that you've picked up? Wouldn't that spot be quite smelly?

Oh, the fascinating world of manure management!
big_smile.png

Our run was grass until all of the rain which let the girls dig it up pretty bad so we've added sand, straw and leaves to it. Inside they have a mix of straw, pine shavings, and de. I spread more (during the cold months) de and bedding anytime it's nice enough to have them all outside. I've turned it a few times, but they've been scratching in it quite a bit lately. It's kept them warm so far this winter, although I'll be glad to get it cleaned out this spring.

Hay or straw for nest boxes as they aren't in them for very long so it doesn't get too dirty. Sawdust on the floor (hardwood from saw mill) great for stopping the poo sticking and easy to collect the poos with a cat litter scoop - then great for compost.

This year I finally insulated the coop and improved the ventilation with better upper openings; what a huge improvement! I'm using pine shavings in a deep litter method, turning the bedding every week or so. I add some scratch feed to encourage digging. I use hay in the nest boxes, with some padding under.

Back
Top Bottom