What bedding should I use?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by animal8, Aug 26, 2011.

1. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    What sort of bedding would be recommended for use in a rabbit hutch? I was thinking wood shaving, because it's fairly easy to go in there and do part clean and I could put a thin strip of board along the bottom to prevent too much getting kicked out, but I'm worried that the bedding might get wet when it rains (which is quite frequent here [​IMG] ). I was thinking I could rest a large board on top of the hutch that overhangs the front to keep some of the rain off, but I also don't want to block out too much light either. Anyone got any ideas? [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  2. Ga.chickenman

Ga.chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Vidalia
    Most of the people that I know just let them walk on the wire, less mess. [​IMG]

3. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

pine shaving, never use cedar

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I put in shoe boxes filled with oyster shell so the birds can get off the wire...kitty litter boxes work too.

5. juniorf150

juniorf150 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    Eastanollee Ga
    yep wire is the way to go:D

6. Missi

Missi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    BUT! What is most comfy for them (for those of us who keep our qualies as dear pets)? [​IMG]

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I keep coturnix on wire but provide big dog bowls of sand for them to bathe in. My Bob's are on the ground which is sand here at 7L.

8. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    My pets are on 1/2"x 1/2" PVC coated wire. I figure the PVC coating is easier on their feet. I don't really know.

I have my crazy roo on hamster bedding. Everyone gets a piece of carpet remnant when I throw out when it gets really dirty.

I haven't given mine sand or dust yet because I haven't figured out a way to do it so they don't make a mess in the house.

9. Missi

Missi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Time out...if you have them only on wire, where do they lay their eggs?!

10. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    They lay their eggs wherever they happen to be standing at the time.

Coturnix are kind of oblivious of their eggs. They walk all over them and kick them and eventually, the eggs get pushed to the sides of the cage.

I did have one hen that laid an egg in the same spot every day. And when I did a thorough cage cleaning, that was enough to upset her so she wouldn't lay for a couple of days. But after that, it would be in the same spot again. But she was a special bird and I would take her out of her cage and she would follow me around and would hand feed her bugs and stuff I would find in the garden.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by