What better way to occupy my time...

grothenay

In the Brooder
May 6, 2021
Corpus Christi, Texas
Hello from Corpus Christi, TX. I have been on leave for the last three months after the birth of our second daughter and since my wife had been asking for chickens for awhile I decdided to make it happen. Since there are now four in our family we decided to get four little chicks back in March. They are now about 7 weeks old and a lot of fun to just sit and watch. We have a Delaware, Blue Star, Rhode Island, and an Easter Egger. I built a small coop out of scrap wood since lumber prices are so high. After watching a lot of videos and reading I think I have managed to provide them with a safe, fun environment. I tell my daughter that if we can make, and keep them happy, they will reward us with eggs in a few months. She is patiently (she looks in the nest box everyday even though it is blocked off for now) waiting for that time to come.
I have some slight worry that the Delaware may be Rooster. We really hope not because it is our favorite. At the least she rules the roost, and watches over the others.
I look forward to learning a lot from these forums as we raise our small flock!

Attachments

• BD2920F8-77DB-40DB-87A0-6123FA1211B8.jpeg
    BD2920F8-77DB-40DB-87A0-6123FA1211B8.jpeg
    834.4 KB · Views: 15
Hello from Corpus Christi, TX. I have been on leave for the last three months after the birth of our second daughter and since my wife had been asking for chickens for awhile I decdided to make it happen. Since there are now four in our family we decided to get four little chicks back in March. They are now about 7 weeks old and a lot of fun to just sit and watch. We have a Delaware, Blue Star, Rhode Island, and an Easter Egger. I built a small coop out of scrap wood since lumber prices are so high. After watching a lot of videos and reading I think I have managed to provide them with a safe, fun environment. I tell my daughter that if we can make, and keep them happy, they will reward us with eggs in a few months. She is patiently (she looks in the nest box everyday even though it is blocked off for now) waiting for that time to come.
I have some slight worry that the Delaware may be Rooster. We really hope not because it is our favorite. At the least she rules the roost, and watches over the others.
I look forward to learning a lot from these forums as we raise our small flock!
Welcome! You can sex them at 7 weeks, post pictures?

Hello from a fellow Delaware parent! Mine is 4 weeks tomorrow, and definitely the fiestiest of the bunch! From photos I've seen online, the males are gorgeous, but I'm sure mine is female, as the wings look like they've been heavily sprinkled with pepper. 😂 We've named her Della.

Here's our family portrait, and another shot of her from above.

Attachments

• tempImageJRGdm1.png
    tempImageJRGdm1.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 6F256D5D-CE8A-431B-9F11-74E9A484DB1F_1_201_a.jpeg
    6F256D5D-CE8A-431B-9F11-74E9A484DB1F_1_201_a.jpeg
    428.1 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom