What bird??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by thewarriorchild, Oct 16, 2008.

1. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    While watching the skys for predators I saw a very large black bird with large white circles on its wings. It was flying overhead and I was surprised to see such large circles. I looked at the Hawk Mtn site to ID it but I did not find anything..any one know what it was? It was a large bird... Do I need to worry?

2. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
  3. thewarriorchild

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    Nope it was a circle no doubt about it. I was so shocked by it that I forgot to tell my daughter to look... odd

4. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I dunno! Vultures are about the only really large black bird in this country, although several brown birds like eagles might look black against the light. A lot of birds migrate through NJ, though, so there's a wide variety to choose from. Tis a puzzlement!

5. thewarriorchild

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    Now it makes me more curious!! yea It was against a bright sky so it could have been brown but it certainly had circles...

6. cmb19

cmb19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    PA
    If the white areas were at the ends of the wings then take a look at some different pictures of black vultures. They're different than turkey vultures and aren't as common in the Northern part of the country.

7. thewarriorchild

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
  8. mmd

mmd New Egg

Oct 18, 2008
    We saw several large raptors with what looked like white circles on their wings while we were driving across nebraska and wyoming. Couldn't find them in ID books.
    What about an immature golden eagle - these pics don't look like what we saw, but it's closer - http://www.peregrinefund.org/Explore_Raptors/eagles/goldeagl.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by