What brand of feed do you give your chickens?

RW19290

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Southern California
I give my chicks organic chick starter, but their almost done with the 10 lb. bag. I wanted to order more but when i looked online, OMG it's soooo expensive!!!!! about $35 for a tiny 10 lb. bag including shipping. So i was like... I'M NOT ordering such an expensive thing. Come on 10 lbs!!! I'm new to chickens and i'm wondering what brand is reasonably priced and doesn't contain weird chemicals or ground up diseased poultry. Please also include where you buy it and what price it is for a 25 lb. bag. Also I don't care if it's organic or not. The only reason I like organic is because it doesn't contain chemicals. Any answers will be helpful Thanks!!!! ~Ruby

Purina Mills "Layena" crumble is my #1. I did read and saved the labels of lots of other brands, but I do not want any animal bi-products, feather meal (ewww/feather picking) etc. for my chickens. Thats why I sticked to Purina for about a year now.....and my girls are happy and healthy.
Get some starter and grower until they are at least 18 weeks old, no layer feed yet. Its high calcium contents will damage the chicks kidneys and bone formation...
I just bought 2 #50 bags today for $12.50 each......

Last edited:
can't remember the brand of start and grow i used til they started laying.... now i'm feeding purina layena too (~$14 for a 50lb bag), and i want to get some purina flockraiser (~17 for a 50lb bag). starter/grower is going to probably be a bit more expensive, but remind yourself that they'll only need it til they start crankin' out eggs. do you have a local feedstore? call around a bit and see what the going rates are - i wouldn't pay for shipping for a gigantoid bag of feed. our feedstore carries an organic brand, too - but the girls didn't like it as much! good luck!

big_smile.png

Maybe your County Extension agent can refer to a local or regional feed grower. Here in Texas we can get organic feed through a local feed store via a regional grower called Coyote Creek. I'm betting there would be similar products available in California.

My current batch of chicks are started on medicated non-organic feed til the bag runs out, but I scatter the organic feed around the brooder 3 times a day. They go into feeding frenzies and really love it!

Judith

I used ADM Pen Pals feed since day one and it's worked just fine. I like the fact that with the Egg Maker Complete feed I don't need to mess with oyster shell - everything needed is in it. I'm paying $12.50 per 50 lb. bag.

Purina Mills Layena is good. i dont have chickens but I give that to my ducks... i believe theres a kind made for ducks, and a kind of that made for chickens too? Or maybe Purina Mills Layena is for both ducks and chickens? I dunno.

Back
Top Bottom