What breed am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Arkantex, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Arkantex

Arkantex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    So, about 6 weeks ago, our 10 chicks were delivered from Ideal Poultry... along with 12 packing peanuts! They all appear to be the same breed... Just not sure what breed they are. Here are a few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So, what do you guys and gals think?

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Look a bit like SLW's that are terrible quality, but it could be just that they are young so the feathers aren't correct yet.

3. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I see a bunch of poor quality SLW as well....some single combs, poor lacing, but seem to be of the SLW ilk...what breed did you order? I see a red bird, and a barred bird in there.

I have read from another member on here that SLW roos will develop white "shields" on their shoulders though...going by that, and comb color w/ age, I would say I see three possible SLW roos in the last picture

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    x3

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    That was my first thought as well. Hatchery quality Silver Laced Wyandottes, and maybe not all males!

6. Arkantex

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    I ordered 1RIR, 2Production Reds, 2Plymoth Rocks, 2 Buff Oringtons, 2 Black Australorps, 1 Ameraucana... I got all them plus a dozen of these other guys

7. Arkantex

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    So, if they are SLW's, how can I differentiate between hens and roos and how soon? The roos are going to the freezer, what is a good age to... take them off the feed bill?

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    to me with the redness of the combs i see they all appear to be cockerels if there any pullets be happy as most packing peanuts are roosters [​IMG]

9. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    well, we can give you a pretty good guess...if you want to post separate pics of each we could give it a go...but from what I have learned here on BYC, SLW males will have white "shields" on their shoulders as feathers come in, and their combs and wattles will be more red, and better developed than the girls of the same age.

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i would let them get full size before butchering them but thats just me i dont butcher my chicks though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by