What breed and age are these chickens?

Any pics? Sounds like a nice bird.
She's small and very friendly like my other flock, she let's me pick her up just like my other flock that i raised from chicks, all the other new hens are so skittish they won't let me hold them lol. she does get picked on but i think they sorted it out now, her first night here the bully didn't let her in the coop.
IMG_5720.jpg IMG_5724.jpg IMG_5737.jpg IMG_5738.jpg

She's small and very friendly like my other flock, she let's me pick her up just like my other flock that i raised from chicks, all the other new hens are so skittish they won't let me hold them lol. she does get picked on but i think they sorted it out now, her first night here the bully didn't let her in the coop.
View attachment 2893158View attachment 2893159View attachment 2893160View attachment 2893162
How cute! She looks young and healthy. She’s technically an EE, not pure Ameraucana, but chances are the breeder didn’t know that. She’s lovely! You’ll probably get lots of blue eggs out of her.

okay i will do that, the people i bought her from said she is a great layer, so that implies she is laying so idk this is confusing, they might be a bit dishonest.
She looks like a sexlink. They lay roughly an egg a day for the first 2 years of life then production slows to a craw after their first true moult. They are also prone to medical issues at this time. So they were probably not lying, but likely preying on your lack of knowledge - you're getting their seconds that are no longer productive. There was no way they didn't know that barred was a rooster.

How cute! She looks young and healthy. She’s technically an EE, not pure Ameraucana, but chances are the breeder didn’t know that. She’s lovely! You’ll probably get lots of blue eggs out of her.
She lookd a lot like my EE's so i kind suspected that!
also here are pictures of the Delaware, she came out side for a bit, seems to be getting a long with everyone, but now she's back in the coop. IMG_5752.jpg

She looks like a sexlink. They lay roughly an egg a day for the first 2 years of life then production slows to a craw after their first true moult. They are also prone to medical issues at this time. So they were probably not lying, but likely preying on your lack of knowledge - you're getting their seconds that are no longer productive. There was no way they didn't know that barred was a rooster.
I think they had suspected it was since they said if it was a rooster i could return it, just curious how can you tell a sex link versus any other red mutt kind of breed? Also how can i tell the age? if she isn't laying than they said i could return her. but she is very sweet so i probably won't

If she is older and already past her prime egg laying, would her vent be as small as it is? comparing her vet to my laying leghorn it is a bit smaller for her size, also she isn't doing the squatting thing that my other laying hens do.

I think they had suspected it was since they said if it was a rooster i could return it, just curious how can you tell a sex link versus any other red mutt kind of breed? Also how can i tell the age? if she isn't laying than they said i could return her. but she is very sweet so i probably won't
It very well could be... My kneejerk reaction was sexlink because of the overall body shape and colour. I suppose you could still get that from a barnyard mix too. As for laying, her legs are quite yellow... Typically, they lose the yellow pigment into the eggs, so possibly been off the lay for a while or not a good layer? (Or is a pullet Pol)

I can understand on personality though and give her at least a month with no change to settle in and see how she does with laying.

Back
Top Bottom