What breed, and color?

car169mick

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Hi all. Here are two pics (sorry about quality- trying to get a good pic on my cell phone) of some chickens I got about two weeks ago. The woman who gave them to me told me they were Mille Fleur, but I see that that is a color. Are they Booted or D' Uccle? Have one roo and three hens. Had another roo that came with SEVERE injuries and despite my best efforts had to make the tough decision after a week to cull (a shame because he was BEAUTIFUL). She told me they were about 10 weeks old. Does that sound about right? I really don't know much about breeds as all my other chickens are completely free-range that sleep in my trees- they came to my farm from across the road about three years ago and....well, you know the rest:
56442_hens.jpg
[/img]
56442_roo.jpg
[/img]

The pullet in the first pic is a d'Uccle. Can't really tell with the roo in the second pic. Does he have a beard and muffs? d'Uccles have beards and muffs, booteds don't. Hope that helps.

They all came from the same hen and rooster (so I was told) so..... I will try to get a better picture of the roo. Glad to see on here that they are a friendly breed, since i was worried how hard it would be to get them used to me since I didnt have them from hatchling. What about color? And age? The roo has just started crowing since I got them. Thanks!

Mille Fleur D' Uccle. I just love those little birds. I have 3, 2 hens and 1 roo and they are so sweet. My 1st hen was a rescue and has a great personality. The roo is excellent with the hens and I usually put him with the standard size hens to keep harmony in the run. As they get older their color will get better. My little rescue bird is named Indian Corn because of her color. Enjoy!!!
big_smile.png
Funny mine love to sleep in the trees as well and care less about the coop.

they are duccle millflur but not verry good ones look like they are colord up wrong and the roo should not have a black neck it sould be more of a red/dark buff with a black bar then white so i would gusse they are mixed

Quote:
They are Mille Fleur in coloring, but look young, so that is why they don't have the right coloring yet. The white is the last thing to come in on them. My roo was 10 months when I got him in August and didn't have any white on the tips of his tail feathers like he was supposed to and I was worried. He has since grown in the white and is gorgeous. Also, the pattern on the roos look much different than the pattern on the females.

Unbelievably friendly breed
smile.png
Mine follow me around the yard, will fall asleep on my lap, and like to perch on my shoulder. D'uccles come in loads of cool colors, more than most other breeds. They are very popular in Europe.

Thanks everyone for your help! Yes, they are young (was told 10 weeks when I got them about three weeks ago) the roo was just starting to crow- he's definitely got that down. Also, I don't think they are of the greatest quality as 1) they were just given to me and 2) they do not have feathering on all their toes (unless that doesn't happen until they get older?) - going from the outside in, the two inside toes have no feathers (some its just the innermost toe that is bare). But they are cute, funny, and VERY curious and I am absolutely in love!

Back
Top Bottom