What breed and gender is this???

That barred Rock is definitely a cockerel. They are one breed that you can sex by coloration. The males have wider white bars and narrow black bars.

I have 6 Rocks and 4 are Roos. I was hoping for all hens. Such is life. Tyvm for your help
263a.png

The two black ones almost look like Australorps, though they could just be black Orpingtons. The middle one is barred, which I don't think Orpingtons ever are. It almost looks like a Maran.

Is that some light barring near the tail or just the lighting?
What color are the bottoms of the feet?
Pink would be Australorp color and yellow Jersey Giant. I do not think this is an Australorp or Jersey though.
I think this is another mix of something barred and perhaps a Black Orpington.
So far looks like a girl but that is just a guess at this age.

Pink would be Australorp color and yellow Jersey Giant. I do not think this is an Australorp or Jersey though.

Agreed. Just thought I'd add that it almost looks like it has a bit of blue to it, the way the feathers are lighter in the center and darker on the outside.

Lightning I believe.

I do see a lot of blue in the feathers in this last pic. I am thinking it is a mix still. The yellow feet say not an Australorp.
Did it ever have a white feather in the wingtip? Australorp have a white feather in the wing that they shed around 12 to 16 weeks.
The yellow feet could be an indication of Jersey Giant for sure.
I could be wrong but I think Black Orpington have light gray legs with kind of a white/light pink bottom.
The body shape as they mature will help determine if they are Orpingtons at all.

Even if they are mixes they can be super great chickens for you. If you paid a lot of money for them expecting them to be something different than they are you can try to talk to the seller to try to come to some sort of settlement.

I personally think they are neat looking and would not try to return them.

Back
Top Bottom