What breed and gender is this?!

Dang, I have that EXACT same rooster. I couldn't remember the breed/name that was pasted onto the bin at the Rural King, but it wasn't "Red Sex Linked." Definitely a rooster, mine is by far the biggest bird in my flock of 11 week-olds. I had thought of asking what he was, and I guess now I know. Maybe Rural King had a special that week: Out of my 9 "pullets," I have four roosters. Great.

I haven't been able to find any information that says that they are sex linked for any specific trait. I don't know if they used the word "link" in the name to describe some linked trait or if they just liked the name. I believe they are a sex link red crossed backwards - meaning the breeds of the male and female are reversed. Maybe that is why "link" is in the name?

The bin I got mine from at TSC cleared said "amberlink pullets." I think they sent a straight run as pullets or I was incredibly unlucky.

Now that I think of it I am pretty sure the label at Rural King for my Amberlinks said Amberlink Pullets, and like you I was either unlucky, or they were straight runs. I have not been able to find much info about them, but I have read that they can be feather sexed ( I'm not really sure how to do this, but mine looked the same), and that they are a reverse cross hybrid, pretty much for egg production, and produce 300+ eggs per year and they usually start laying early. Mine are 11 weeks old, so that is still to be determined. I just want to find as much info about them as I can, but I guess whey are just "mutts" bred for egg production. In my experience they are quite friendly and curious. They follow me around and seem to like to be pet.

Dang, I have that EXACT same rooster. I couldn't remember the breed/name that was pasted onto the bin at the Rural King, but it wasn't "Red Sex Linked." Definitely a rooster, mine is by far the biggest bird in my flock of 11 week-olds. I had thought of asking what he was, and I guess now I know. Maybe Rural King had a special that week: Out of my 9 "pullets," I have four roosters. Great.
Mine are also 11 weeks old, and out of my 7, 3 are roosters. They seem to be nice (so far), and I have 30 pullets, so hopefully we can all get along!

Back
Top Bottom