What breed and gender???????PICS**

ADRIANNA

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
wenatchee
First of all I tought this was a DUCK!!!
smiley-scared004.gif
(I don't know much about ducks or geese)
smiley-ashamed005.gif

But the nice people here told me that in fact it is a geese.

What sex and breed is it????????

anyone.gif

32422_drake11.jpg

32422_drake2.jpg

32422_drake9.jpg

32422_drake10.jpg

my guess and I could be very very wrong is African Brown...but then I may just have them on my brain!

Quote:
No, that looks like an african to me too or african mix- I don't think I know of another goose breed with that jet black bill. Looks just like my african at that age.

You can't tell sex at that age unless you know how to get inside their bottom and look as that is where the private parts live. If you watch though you'll see behavior as it grows that will tell you. Males are more bold and protect what they think is their friends and family, so in the face of a threat a male will move forward toward it, snake out it's neck and make sounds (when adults they hiss just like a snake- it's freaky). Females tend to be more timid and hang back rather then approaching the threat- they know that is the boys job. Females usually only snake out their neck at a threat that is right on top of them or to get on the case of one of their flock for doing something they didn't like. On africans they both get those big bumps at the top of the bill, on the boys those are bigger then on the girls.

I really like my african, she's a very good girl.

I agree -African or mix, could be China but the head and neck look more like African. Going by the foot size I would guess Gander (male)

Quote:
The bill reminds me of a toulouse though with that convex thing going on. I don't recall that mine had a convex bill like that but then again maybe mine is the mix as I got her from hatchery stock. (smiles)

Oh how precious!!!! I love "little kid" geese at that age
big_smile.png

I agree with the African, by the length and shape of the neck.

Does he/she have a friend? Geese need a flock or they are unhappy. They can be quite happy with ducks and chickens and turkeys.

Sexing them is impossible unless you know how to look up their bums. African males have HUGE knobs and females have smaller ones. I've heard they have different adult honks/noises. One person told me to wait until it either laid eggs or did not LOL and then I'd know for sure.

I just guessed the sex, based upon my intuition when I had straight run goslings. I was wrong and had ganders named Chloe and Zoey and a goose named Petey. They didn't seem to mind.

Back
Top Bottom