What breed are my hens?

They all look leghorn-y but they all have details that are way off, like dark legs on that white and brown one(supposed to be clean yellow in 'pure' white and brown leghorns).

What country are you in? Might make a big difference in helping with guesses- I'm wondering if there's a possibility they might be a breed not very well known to the primarily US audience on here.

If they are in United States, I would guess them to be mixed color leghorns with other similar white egg laying breeds thrown in like Minorca, Ancona, etc.

They all look leghorn-y but they all have details that are way off, like dark legs on that white and brown one(supposed to be clean yellow in 'pure' white and brown leghorns).

What country are you in? Might make a big difference in helping with guesses- I'm wondering if there's a possibility they might be a breed not very well known to the primarily US audience on here.  

If they are in United States, I would guess them to be mixed color leghorns with other similar white egg laying breeds thrown in like Minorca, Ancona, etc.
hey! Thanks for your help. I am in Spain with the chickens right now.

That probably explains it- either they are a breed or mixes of some sort that most of us US folks aren't aware of.

Very cool looking birds, by the way. Love the white body, black leg color combination.
thank u! Does the egg color depend on what the chickens eat? We are feeding them corn and they lay white eggs but in the Penedescana description (brown hen) it says thay lay dark brown eggs. Thanks.

thank u! Does the egg color depend on what the chickens eat? We are feeding them corn and they lay white eggs but in the Penedescana description (brown hen) it says thay lay dark brown eggs. Thanks.

It's genetic. The Penes have been bred for darker brown eggs for many many generations- it is not easy. Are you going to try getting some? The real good stock lay wonderful dark eggs, but many stocks lay kind of like a middle brown egg.

White eggs is somewhat easier, as there are several different genes that make the eggshells white- some are dominant, some are not. Usually a cross between white egg chicken with a brown/tan egg chicken gives you either almost white or light tan eggs. So your hens laying clean white eggs makes me think yours are either a breed I don't know of or were crosses/mixes between white egg breeds, no brown or tan egg breeds.

Back
Top Bottom