What Breed Are My Hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by easyjet23, May 27, 2011.

1. easyjet23

easyjet23 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Nowata, OK
    The lighter yellow hen has some barring throughout, and the darker one is more reddish with black tips on her tail. The black hens look like my sumatra rooster but are larger than him. They have black legs, and face and very small combs. One of the black hens has yellowish legs and brown/red feathers below her beak. I bought all the hens together at an auction, and the rooster was a totally separate buy. Any info will help. Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  2. Strange_Screams

Strange_Screams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    They are pretty, but I don't know what they are, try one of those chicken breed charts maybe? I've lots the link to the big one.

3. Padfoot417

Padfoot417 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I would say some possible Black Australorps maybe an Orpington in there....possibly a Golden Laced Wyandotte in there too?

4. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Maybe mutts, it looks like a few of them are buff barred (i think thats what it's called, im a little rusty on my chicken facts atm)

Edit: The black ones may be black sexlinks

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  5. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    The buff colored ones seam to have whitish/pinkish legs.Could be buff orpinton/barred rock in there some where.

6. acw123

acw123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Charlottesville
    Quote:Not so sure about them being Australorps as all mine have black legs with either white or yellowish underneath of the foot.

7. SeasideSilkies

SeasideSilkies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm not an expert but maybe the buff barred one is a lemon cuckoo orpington? she looks like she could be an orpington and a lady I knew had some lemon cuckoos, they were buff with barring like yours.

8. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Well I have an idea but it's just a guess. I was looking at possible mixes out of my own curiosity and came across buff orpington / rhode island red. They look kind of similar, except yours are a little darker.. Well, here is a link, the pictures are near the bottom of the thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=90359&p=1

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by