What Breed are my two members of the Shire?

beancountingforchickens

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2021
South Carolina
I have these two 8 week old roos. The light one, I know for sure is a roo because he has started to crow, but the black one has not yet, however, I am pretty sure he is as well. I am totally ok with that because we have plenty of space for them both and no neighbors. I am unsure what breed they are though. I ordered eggs from a farm and when they came they were not marked with their breed, just a listing. Any ideas? Cochin, dominiquer?
Gimley.jpg
The light one is Gimley and the dark one is Frodo.
Frodo.jpg
Frodo has lots of feathering on his feet so I am not very familiar with this breed. They are very sweet and loving so far and currently they are in with 10 other girls but will be merged with my other 7 girls in a few months. Will they be fine to keep all together or should I separate them into two different flocks? I currently have a total of 19 chickens. So far these two are the guys and the rest are gals, but with 10 of them still only 8 weeks of age, you never can tell.

I can't see them really well by these foto.
Frodo seems to be a black copper Marans
With Gimley I'd say a Bielefelder (I see a bit of reddish on him, I can't tell if it's his actual colour or the light)

I can't see them really well by these foto.
Frodo seems to be a black copper Marans
With Gimley I'd say a Bielefelder (I see a bit of reddish on him, I can't tell if it's his actual colour or the light)
When I google the BCM, it looks exactly like Frodo so I am going to say you are spot on with that one and it does seem like that was on my list of eggs sent to me. Gimley does have some red mixed in. I don't remember that breed on the list. It would be easier if I still had the list. :) Thanks

Back
Top Bottom