What breed are these chicks? (pictures of parents)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jessie_Jazz, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Jessie_Jazz

Jessie_Jazz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Suffolk UK
    I finished a summer job at a farm visitors centre yesterday and one of the workers caught me some chicks as a leaving present. The park had chickens wandering around, pretty wild so I dont know if they have a breed or if they're just 'mixed.' Some of the hens look like partridge plymouth rocks.

The mother of my chicks looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And these are the two potential Daddies:

Don't know what breed this is
    [​IMG]

I'm fairly sure this is a partidge plymouth rock
    [​IMG]

So..... any ideas what my chicks are? I have two black ones and one white one. (Hopefully two girls and one boy)

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Another hen could have been laying eggs in the nest as well from the looks of those chicks,im not sure what breed they are.

3. Jessie_Jazz

Aug 6, 2010
    Suffolk UK
    Quote:ooo I hadn't thought of that! How likely is that to happen?

The mum hen has a poorly leg and limps so she's bottom of the pecking order. She started off with 10 chicks - 3 black ones, 2 yellow ones and 5 white ones. She kept those for a couple of weeks then lost 4 over the course of last week and had 3 black ones and 3 white ones. now I've got 3 of them she's only got 3 left with her.

4. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    All the black chicks where proubly hers the others where more than likley laid by another hen.

5. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    They would be mixed breed chicks. By the way, the ones you are calling Partridge rocks are some variety of Game chickens. [​IMG]

6. Jessie_Jazz

Aug 6, 2010
    Suffolk UK
    Quote:oopsie!

i guess I have mongrels, they're cute though.ww

7. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Whoa, those roosters are really something! Looks like one has a single comb, and one's got a rose (?). Can you tell what the chicks' combs are?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  8. Jessie_Jazz

Aug 6, 2010
    Suffolk UK
    Yeah those cockerals are beautiful! One of my black chicks is definately a boy and he has a rose comb. The other black one has no visable comb yet so fingers crossed thats a girl.
    The white chick appears to have the beginnings of a rose comb too, but not as advanced or pink as the boy..... really hoping it aint another boy as I already have one wyandotte cockeral outside with my existing flock which I want to breed from. Any more boys will have to go to my Dad's house and have a high probability of ending up in the freezer :-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by