What breed are these chicks?

What? Split to lavender or split to chocolate means the bird's appearance is black but they carry those genetics. The lavender or chocolate is a hidden trait. MPC doesn't even carry Chocolate Orps. Neither look black so are not splits.The clear banding is odd however. The first looks splash (not sure of breed yet) and the second looks similar to an Egyptian Fayoumi. These are pictures of Black Orpington chicks (which have the same appearance as a split.)

Attachments

• DB28AE50-42C7-445B-A73C-93BA081FDEA9.jpeg
    DB28AE50-42C7-445B-A73C-93BA081FDEA9.jpeg
    691.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 5B53045F-72CC-4A8F-9280-278B394AE0B4.jpeg
    5B53045F-72CC-4A8F-9280-278B394AE0B4.jpeg
    572.5 KB · Views: 4
What? Split to lavender or split to chocolate means the bird's appearance is black but they carry those genetics. The lavender or chocolate is a hidden trait. MPC doesn't even carry Chocolate Orps. Neither look black so are not splits.The clear banding is odd however. The first looks splash (not sure of breed yet) and the second looks similar to an Egyptian Fayoumi. These are pictures of Black Orpington chicks (which have the same appearance as a split.)
That's what we were thinking. These were last minute subs on our order. The 2 Cream Legbars died in transit as well as 1 of the White Rocks.

That's what we were thinking. These were last minute subs on our order. The 2 Cream Legbars died in transit as well as 1 of the White Rocks.
I'm sorry for your loss ☹️ Definitely update pictures as they feather in! MPC has many designer mixes. They also carry Swedish Flower Hens and has a non standardized, landrace breed, they vary a lot too. So there's many options they could be. The single comb does help eliminate some of the blue eggers (unless they're Legbar derived which happens often too.) Is there anyway you could email them pictures? The banding situation seems very odd. Maybe they ran out of another color?

I'm sorry for your loss ☹ Definitely update pictures as they feather in! MPC has many designer mixes. They also carry Swedish Flower Hens and has a non standardized, landrace breed, they vary a lot too. So there's many options they could be. The single comb does help eliminate some of the blue eggers (unless they're Legbar derived which happens often too.) Is there anyway you could email them pictures? The banding situation seems very odd. Maybe they ran out of another color?
These two were substituted for 2 Swedish Flower Hens. We were sad to lose the other three.😢 I am still waiting on their reply to the pics I sent. That's why we questioned the clear bands too.

These two were substituted for 2 Swedish Flower Hens. We were sad to lose the other three.😢 I am still waiting on their reply to the pics I sent. That's why we questioned the clear bands too.
Well I am definitely invested! I just keep going through their breeds/mixes and nothing is matching them too well! The Egyptian Fayoumi chicks seem to lack that white belly that yours has. The splash might be a Splash Marans, Orpington, or Andalusian or perhaps a White Marans because the chicks have a bit of a grey sheen it seems. Their Marans are the French feather-legged strain it seems, but clean legged ones still pop up. All of the Eggers vary so much in appearance too it's difficult. Regardless, they'll be pretty birds 🥰

Well I am definitely invested! I just keep going through their breeds/mixes and nothing is matching them too well! The Egyptian Fayoumi chicks seem to lack that white belly that yours has. The splash might be a Splash Marans, Orpington, or Andalusian or perhaps a White Marans because the chicks have a bit of a grey sheen it seems. Their Marans are the French feather-legged strain it seems, but clean legged ones still pop up. All of the Eggers vary so much in appearance too it's difficult. Regardless, they'll be pretty birds 🥰
Thank you! I will post updates!

Update! I heard from MPC. These are Swedish Flower Hens. The leg band color was wrong. We've named them Freyja and Frida.

Back
Top Bottom