What Breed are we?

AbbeyRoad

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 29, 2013
I got this pair of females off CL last summer. They were supposed to be fawn and white Runners. The photos weren't good, but i was desperate to find runner friends for my first,lonely runner. I drove over an hour to get them. And when I got there, I knew they weren't runners. But took them home anyways for the eggs, friendship and cause I had driven all that way!

They are now named Patty and Selma. Any ideas if they are just runners mixed with a meat/fatter breed duck? Or are they another breed altogether? I did see some Ancona ducks with similar look, but not sure if those are mislabeled or what. Curious as I am thinking of rehoming them now that I have my runner flock growing with this years ducklings. but want to be accurate about what they are.

The are on left and right of this pic. My white male runner in the upper middle and my first (not perfect but still love her) runner Millie on the lower middle

One of the non runner girls on the Left

On the Right

Everyone clumped together, but one of the sisters in the front.

Both girls are on the Left.

I'm surprised Hatcheries would have these as runners. They are more than double the width/weight, and their beaks turn up instead of slop down like a runner. I am glad I didnt order from one then. The only thing that could be a runner is their coloration.

It's sad to see hatchery's lower the breed standards of birds. They are only thinking about qantity not quality, they need to stop just worring about the profit that there going to make, but also about the birds quality. Breeders are constantly trying to get their birds to breed type, and hatcheries are just bringing it right back down. If i were you, i would sell them and get real runners.

Oh yeah, That is why i made this post. I want to rehome them as my runners are multiplying and I have great stature now. They did their part of keeping my 3 original runners friends while i grew my flock and provided good eating eggs. But I wanted to be sure they weren't another type of bird, since they don't lay as much as my runners, are so much heavier and their bills are so different shaped.

Yes they are runners, I have gotten runners from TSC, and they look like yours in the pictures (Mine stand more upright than those, but they are wider like yours and their beaks are kind of like that) Sure they are not show birds, but they have the runner look, and are good layers. You shouldn't have a problem re homing them as just back yard laying ducks/pets.

My hatchery runners (some of them anyway) still maintain that slender upright profile. If the person before you didn't get them directly from a hatchery, then I'd go with runner mix.
My original 2 are slender and upright, not super tall upright, but still very upright.

Back
Top Bottom