What Breed? Black chipmunk on white

Cookenfisch

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 23, 2012
Hi
I have hatched a batch of mixed breed chicks. Had two roosters. Father was either a black australorp (possible not pure) or Isa brown. Possible mothers were: Isa brown, Plymouth Barred rock, Black Australorp or my beautiful mixed breed (rhode island red, newhampshire, barred rock cross)

Mainly interested in the white chick with black chipmunk. Has a black top beak and pink lower beak, dark brown/black eyes, yellow legs. There is some barring on tips of the wing feathers and then a airbrushed type patern of black on the upper portion of wing feathers.

She is very striking and quite like my mixed breed, but would love to know what people think the breeding may be. i know this is a fairly open question given the girls and guys available in the pen.

Any thoughts?

centre front

My best guess would be BA as the father and your mix breed as the mother. The barring doesn't look even enough for it to be half BR.

I have gotten some awesome mixes out of my flock. It is fun to see what you get. I have gotten blues, out of my Buff Brahma roo, and BJG hens and some crazy looking whites out of my WR hen!!!

Play with the chicken calculator. Put in all your options and see what you get.

Why do you say the Australorp may not be pure? Do you know if he may have had a non-black parent? It would help to know if you can use a black sire, or of you need to recreate him in the calculator. Using a black sire in the calculator with your hens will likely only result in black, white or barred offspring.

My best guess would be BA as the father and your mix breed as the mother. The barring doesn't look even enough for it to be half BR.

I have gotten some awesome mixes out of my flock. It is fun to see what you get. I have gotten blues, out of my Buff Brahma roo, and BJG hens and some crazy looking whites out of my WR hen!!!
I 2nd this! I think she is really beautiful too! I'd bet you could sell chicks like that easily and might even be able to create your own "breed". Too bad you don't know for sure what everyone has in them! I'd buy them though!

Oh thanks for all the feedback. I think it is a pullet (fingers crossed anyway!).

I wasn't sure the Black Australorp sire was pure as I had both australop and plymouth barred rock hens in with the grandfather Australorp 9below) when the rooster was hatched. I didnt know if the extended black mutation would mask the barring.

I am thinking the same cross that you have all suggested. The mixed breed hen (I wish I new her breeding) came from one of my hens (Australorp, Isa Brown, Plymouth Barred Rock or a possible Scotts Grey) crossed with either a pure black Australorp or one of three New Hampshire x Rhode Island Red roosters.

Will check out the calculator, just can figure how to define the mixed hens feather markings.

Three New Hampshire x Rhode Island Red boys (above)
Black Australorp Rooster (below) (grandfather of the chick above)

Mixed breed hen

Oh thanks for all the feedback. I think it is a pullet (fingers crossed anyway!).

I wasn't sure the Black Australorp sire was pure as I had both australop and plymouth barred rock hens in with the grandfather Australorp 9below) when the rooster was hatched. I didnt know if the extended black mutation would mask the barring.

I am thinking the same cross that you have all suggested. The mixed breed hen (I wish I new her breeding) came from one of my hens (Australorp, Isa Brown, Plymouth Barred Rock or a possible Scotts Grey) crossed with either a pure black Australorp or one of three New Hampshire x Rhode Island Red roosters.

Will check out the calculator, just can figure how to define the mixed hens feather markings.

Three New Hampshire x Rhode Island Red boys (above)
Black Australorp Rooster (below) (grandfather of the chick above)

Mixed breed hen

The black will not cover up the barring gene. If you had Black rooster over barred hens, all the male offspring would have one barring gene, and the female offspring would have no-barring genes. That's exactly how black sex links work. A black male sired by a male with one barring gene will not have the barring gene to pass to future generations. SO, if an egg taken from a pen with a black rooster over barred and black hens produced a black male, a black hen laid the egg. Play with the chicken calculator--you will get a good idea of how those genes work together if you attempt to recreate the potential crosses in you flock.

oh thankyou so much, I wil play with the calculator, the genetics is so interesting. I really appreciate the information.

Checked it out with the phenotypes showing, it was really easy to follow. What would you call the type of markings on the mothers and the chicks wings. I know there are alot of genes in play, but unsure what pencilling etc really looks like?

Ok soincubated a new batch of eggs only from the mixed breed hen. I only have an Isa Brown rooster now as the BA went to chicken paradise due to flashing. First chick just hatched and it is white with black chipmunk pattern, very excited to see it again and perhaps narrow down the breed.
Thanks all
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom