what breed chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by janie2123, Sep 8, 2014.

1. janie2123

janie2123 New Egg

Sep 8, 2014
    hello everyone im new to this site, ive now got my flock of silkies but i bought two day old partridge chicks that were supposed to be silkie but they are not , they are beautiful chickens but not sure what breed, one has five toes and feathers the other four toes no feathers , they are 11 weeks old but no fluff just fully feathered in partridge colouring any info would be appreciated
    thankyou[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    They look like Silkie crosses. :)

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Cute birds! I am not sure what cross they may be. But they sure are adorable! Looks like you have a nice home for them too.

Enjoy all your adventures with them and welcome to our flock!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Cute birds! X3 they look like Silkie crosses.

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yup those are cute silkie crosses!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Your Silkies are adorable. The other members are right; the other are Silkies crosses, but they are beautiful birds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may want to check out the "Silkie Thread," - just put that in the search box. All silkie people over there, they could fill in the gaps of any missing information for you.

However just because a silkie chick has the wrong number of toes, or pale skin, etc. doesn't necessarily make it a mixed breed. It just means it is not show or breeding quality.Some hatchery silkies don't look very typical of the breed.

8. janie2123

janie2123 New Egg

Sep 8, 2014
    thanks everyone for your nice replys, I live in the uk and this is my first time with chickens , wish I had done it years ago ,they are fascinating creatures , I got intouch with the farm that I bought them from as day old chicks , her cheeky silkie hens have taken a fancy to her legbar cock in the next pen, so I have silkie x legbars, but they are good looking chickens 11 weeks old, just wondered if one was a hen would I get blue eggs , thanks again janie

9. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    It's a possibility to get tinted eggs as she would be carrying the blue gene but there's no way to know until she actually begins laying. The one in picture #3 is a cockerel...you can see his saddle feathers and if picture #1 is a different bird I would say that one is also a cockerel. Either way, they're beautiful!

10. janie2123

janie2123 New Egg

Sep 8, 2014
    thanks for that , yes its the same chicken , I also thought he was cock, the other has more of a puffy crest and much shyer , so i could have a hen, blue eggs great

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by