What breed do I need to get for my DD???

gumpsgirl

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Virginia
I think this is the correct forum for this. Sorry if I'm wrong!

My 3 year-old DD absolutely LOVES the chickens, right alongside her mommy.
smile.png
She is very gentle with them and loves to hold them. My problem is right now, all my big chickens are RIR's and she gets so frustrated (sometimes to the point of tears
sad.png
) when she tries to pick one up. They freak out! They do not have the friendliest dispositions and would rather remain on the roosts or the ground, except for one that only lets me pick her up when she decides it's okay! Would a Silkie be a good pet for my little girl? Like I mentioned before, she is very gentle with the chicks, so I don't think the size of a Silkie would be wrong for her or could you recommend another breed that is friendly? The chicks seem to like her, it's just when they get bigger they don't really care for her to hold them. Maybe it has something to do with her being small and the hens being big, it might just be awkward for them.
idunno.gif
At any rate, I've got to find this girl a chicken that would have a friendly disposition! I can't take the tears of rejection any longer!!!
smile.png

Get her a pair of silkies. Ugly faux chickens
wink.png
but usually a nice disposition, excellent broodies and good mothers.

Or buff orpingtons. Very gentle too.

Oh I think a cochin
wink.png
Strong sturdy and gentle birds and mine let me pick them up with no problems! And they are still babies...the don't struggle at all. And the best part about cochins is they are always styling those gorgeous fir boots
lau.gif

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I am hatching some Delaware's and Blue Orps. right now, so maybe!!!
fl.gif
I will also try and find me a pair of Silkies.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom