What breed do we think she is?

favites8

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
We rescued this bird from some people that had her tied up by one leg, attached to a screwdriver in the ground. They only fed her wild bird seed and put her in a box at night in the garage with all the cars. Her body type looks like a a Seabright, but I know she is not. We don't know how old she is, if I had to guess I would say around 4months. Her comb has been damaged and part of it is missing. Will that ever grow back?
She is VERY smart and VERY inquisitive. We have her roaming free in the gated area of our backyard. Our other chickens can see her and she can see them. She goes up to the gate and will preen herself in front of our other girls. She seems like she wants to integrate with them but we know better. We're taking it slow and will attempt to introduce her when we feel she will be safe. But her behavior is very different from our other chickens and we have 8 types.

Your guess and help is greatly appreciated...

Please and ThankYou in advance,

Stephanie

its a dubbed game bird can you get a better side shot? has it laid an egg or crowed? I think I might see saddle feathers and most people don't dub game hens

No she has not started laying yet. As I stated before her comb has been damaged and most of it is missing. She is a Hen not a Roo so there are no saddle feathers.
Thank You everyone...

We rescued this bird from some people that had her tied up by one leg, attached to a screwdriver in the ground. They only fed her wild bird seed and put her in a box at night in the garage with all the cars. Her body type looks like a a Seabright, but I know she is not. We don't know how old she is, if I had to guess I would say around 4months. Her comb has been damaged and part of it is missing. Will that ever grow back?
She is VERY smart and VERY inquisitive. We have her roaming free in the gated area of our backyard. Our other chickens can see her and she can see them. She goes up to the gate and will preen herself in front of our other girls. She seems like she wants to integrate with them but we know better. We're taking it slow and will attempt to introduce her when we feel she will be safe. But her behavior is very different from our other chickens and we have 8 types.

Your guess and help is greatly appreciated...

Please and ThankYou in advance,

Stephanie

This bird has been dubbed. Chickenspeak for docking, or cropping. His comb and wattles were cut off. They will not grow back. The leash treatment you describe sounds like very amateur cockfighters.
its a dubbed game bird can you get a better side shot? has it laid an egg or crowed? I think I might see saddle feathers and most people don't dub game hens

X2 I also see what appear to be saddle feathers, and agree that females are rarely dubbed, if ever. I think you've rescued this fellow from a fighting life.

Last edited:
I agree it looks like some sort of game or game mix. I'm not very good at guessing breeds, but I do believe that is a female. If you click on the picture you can look closer and it appears that the light shining on the feathers is what is making them look pointed. Zooming in on the picture you can see that all of the feathers have rounded tips. =)

. If you click on the picture you can look closer and it appears that the light shining on the feathers is what is making them look pointed. Zooming in on the picture you can see that all of the feathers have rounded tips. =)
I tried it on my computer and the picture went smaller, just tried it on DH's computer and it took up over half the screen
idunno.gif
but yes, I can see that is a hen

I agree it looks like some sort of game or game mix. I'm not very good at guessing breeds, but I do believe that is a female. If you click on the picture you can look closer and it appears that the light shining on the feathers is what is making them look pointed. Zooming in on the picture you can see that all of the feathers have rounded tips. =)

Huh! I did not know they would enlarge so nicely. I was wrong, that is a female. I feel more than a little sheepish, now. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom