What breed do you have that is your best free ranger?

It can get down to 0 degrees, usually around 20.

Leghorns can have a problem with frostbite on their combs, I understand, when the temperature gets down into the teens.

But it would make a difference if the chicken is exposed to moisture or is in the wind, etc.

Maybe others in cold areas can better answer your question about how cold it needs to get for a Leghorn to get frostbite on her comb.

There is no breed better at free ranging than an American Game hen. In 1973 I personally saw a three year old homeless game hen make her own living on 10,000 acres of trackless free range varmint filled woods, totally alone and without so much as another hen to watch her 6:00 o'clock. She did this without human help of any kind and when she emerged from the wilderness after a year of free ranging she was in such great condition that when I released her into my flock she promptly clawed her way to the top of the pecking order of a 200 strong flock of free range hens.

As the movie Jurassic Park says, "Life will find a way."

You have salmon faverolle? How do you like them? Do they fit in the flock well? OH and how do they lay??

My Fav Roo is great friendly and our favorite. He will let you pet him and pick him up etc. The hens are timid around the others but they are also very friendly. Especially at night when I lock them up and pick eggs. On we have named Babbs, she just talks up a storm. Eggs Are mainly mediums 4-5 per week.

They are great in my flock, just on the timid side.

I plan on having some more this spring, with the incubator up and running.

Without proper food and housing I have seen high comb fowl as far South as northern Mississippi or 'Jawja' loose most or their combs and the tips of their toes to frost bite.

Any rooster with a cold damaged comb is rendered infertile at least till his comb heals. 'You won't be hatching no chicks out of no in-fer-tile rooster, take my word for hit.'

There is no breed better at free ranging than an American Game hen. In 1973 I personally saw a three year old homeless game hen make her own living on 10,000 acres of trackless free range varmint filled woods, totally alone and without so much as another hen to watch her 6:00 o'clock. She did this without human help of any kind and when she emerged from the wilderness after a year of free ranging she was in such great condition that when I released her into my flock she promptly clawed her way to the top of the pecking order of a 200 strong flock of free range hens.

It is true that American Game chickens can survive in the wild better than other breeds. I understand they also make good mothers.

How many eggs does your American Game hen lay?

Without proper food and housing I have seen high comb fowl as far South as northern Mississippi or 'Jawja' loose most or their combs and the tips of their toes to frost bite.

Any rooster with a cold damaged comb is rendered infertile at least till his comb heals. 'You won't be hatching no chicks out of no in-fer-tile rooster, take my word for hit.'

That's interesting. I suppose that is why chickens thrive in the wild in warm places, such as Florida and Hawaii.

Why is that last line in quotes? I do not recall hearing that line before. Is it a line from Chicken George in Roots?

Last edited:

My chickens have very fine housing. I have them in a lean-to off the pole barn. I built their coop 9x15' in there and a roofed run 12x24' off that. They are very protected if I lock them in. In the winter I plan to turn them out on the opposite side towards the horses run in area, more covered protected area.I am also going to cover the west side of the run to protect from the wind. My speckled sussex roosters have pretty big combs, I have been thinking about that.

Thats pretty cool! Don't mess with her!!

Back
Top Bottom