What breed do you like and what do you think of my choice?

ChickenChik

Songster
9 Years
Apr 10, 2010
Kinsey, Alabama
I have been research breeds of ducks that I may want. I really like the Pekin or is it Peking? They are a beautiful duck to me. What do you think of this breed? If I were to get a couple, are they flighty and would I need to clip their wings or cover their run? I also like the white call ducks. Are their any special accomodation for these types of ducks? Also, if you would like to suggest a breed of duck, I am open-minded. I really want a sweet duck that I can bond with. I also would like a smaller breed duck but it is true that they are more flighty. Thank y'all in advance.

I love call ducks. They are friendly and personable. I did just sell off my pair of pekins today, but I did like them to. They didnt fly. Call Ducks do fly, so if you dont cover the top of their pen, you might want to clip their wing feathers.

I have them both, I like them both.
smile.png

Pekins might be a little calmer (but, it's really all in how you raise them) and they can't fly like Calls can...
Pekins are going to cost more to feed than Calls...on a related note, Pekins are going to make much bigger poos than Calls...

Calls are going to be harder to find, and they'll probably cost more initially to buy than a Pekin...

Those are all the pros and cons I can think of right now.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank y'all very much. These will be my very first ducks so I am trying to do all the research on them prior to getting them and I think I started a little late in the season.
barnie.gif
. On another note I have a friend that is raising Ruens (sp?). What do you think of this type of ducks? I knew I could find all the answers I wanted from experts here!!
smile.png

I like pekins alot but they eat so much compared to other ducks. I think I just had to many so they where to expensive to keep. I think I would go with the call ducks.

Are you considering egg production or ducklings in your calculations?

I have Welsh Harlequins for the following reasons...

1. Can't fly worth a darn
2. Lay eggs like mad (around 300+ per year) and the eggs are HUGE
3. Dual purpose (though the odds of me actually eating one is very small)
4. Will brood their own young
5. Ducklings are born sex-linked (meaning you can tell the girls from the boys about 90% of the time)
6. Relatively calm
7. Friendly (I have had hand raised babies and flock raised adults I have purchased. I can usually get them all to eat from my hand and come when called.)
8. Easy to herd (but not as easy as runners...close though)

Other breeds I have had...
Runner (afraid of her own shadow)
Khaki Campbell (good layers)
Buff (friendly and a good layer but LOUD!!!)
Rouen (A little standoffish, but a good drake)

Oh...forgot 9. They look like this as babies...
30444_1505479042463_1398880757_1351673_6702495_n.jpg

Last edited:
They are classified a small - medium weight breed but mine are good sized.

I also have Ancona which I adore...they are a heavy weight. For all the same reasons Wifezilla listed, but they are not sex link. They are the chocolate and white and lavender and white the Golden Brown girls and boys with dark heads are the GWH.

7630_hpim6894.jpg

7630_hpim6900.jpg

Wifezilla got her stock from Metzgers I believe and My ducks came from Holderread's.

Last edited:
I too have Welsh Harlequins and I love them. They are considered a light breed. Mine are just 7weeks old, but are getting to be really pretty. The female are beautiful. I also have a Pekin and she is VERY loud. My Snowy Mallards are one of my favorites. They are Similar to the Harlequins in color but are much smaller and are also friendly. Like all Mallards they do fly.

Back
Top Bottom