What breed duck lays a blue/green color egg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bikergirl, Mar 19, 2009.

1. bikergirl

bikergirl Songster

Jan 9, 2009
    Eastsound, Wa
    K just candled them to double check, no dead chicks/duckling [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Hen House 60

Hen House 60 In the Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    My Rouen lays light, mint colored eggs.

She is sitting on 23!!!!!!

I do not know anything about those market eggs.

3. barnwife

barnwife Songster

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    I bought 3 different batches of eggs...the ones from a mutt mix are creamy whitish pink,

the cayuga/rouen cross ones I got were minty greenish blue,

and the pure cayuga eggs are anywhere between dark deep grey green to a medium green.

I have heard that pekin ducks are pink though. I might have to try them sometime [​IMG]

4. Looking through Holderrread's bulletin on duck egg production and his book Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, he mentions a number of breeds of duck which have some strains that lay blue eggs. These include Campbells, Runners, Anconas, Cayugas, White Crested, and Swedish.

5. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Songster

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    You would think they would be pekins from an asian market, but I think they are cream colored...
    For most duck eggs it's 28 days total, I do 50-55% the first part, and 70-80% the last 3 days. You can mist them with warm water (Day 4-25) after you turn them and have the lid open. Otherwise they should be relatively similar to chicks...
    Good luck!

6. Becca Mahoney

Becca Mahoney In the Brooder

Oct 25, 2017
    This bright blue egg is from a unspecific smallish mallard I have. No idea what specific breed. 1022171426.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: